Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

CAI / Gauze filters and damaging oil contaminants

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 12:52 AM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CAI / Gauze filters and damaging oil contaminants

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

Like I've said, I've run them since the early 90's and never had an engine problem, period. I might be concerned (not really) about the high silica #s if I did fall for marketing hype (amsoil) and only changed my oil once a year (amsoil). [sm=smiley2.gif]

NO COMMERCIALS or PROMOTIONS PLEASE.

Sorry Dustyloins. I see you use this stuff, and thanks for not bashing everything without an amsoil label.

By the way. Thanks Randy_W for your un-sponsored opinion.

I have also ran K&Ns since the 90s in three different trucks. All ran better after removing the drop-in. Now for cone filters, the only one i'll ever use is an S&B.

I never bashed anyone. I corrected you regarding high silcone numbers. You posted false information regarding contaminants being trapped by the oil filter. If they show up on oil analysis, they didn't get filtered out.
Approximately 60 percent of all engine wear is caused by dirt particles in the 5 to 20 micron range. These particles can get inside the precision clearances between engine components and cause severe damage. Full-flow oil filters generally stop contaminants no smaller than 25 to 40 microns.

Obviously you refused to read any of the posts from the users on BITOG. The Oil analysis results showing high Silicone don't lie. Facts are Facts! I made the whole story up about the Flowzair and K&N just to line my pockets ya right! I have both and compared both I reported the results. If you don't believe me, I could care less.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:11 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOT a problem, mopartodd. I'm on this forum to learn and to advise. I've been driving for almost 40 years and have a few tips and tricks to pass on. I also realize that technology is changing faster and faster and I need the inputs of others to stay "in the know". I use the products I use because I personally have had good experiences with them. If I find something better at an equal or cheaper price, I'll use it. I have little brand loyalty because most big companies have little customer loyalty (DCX is an exception). Hopefully, thru the interchange of opinions and ideas on this forum, we'll all come away as wiser and better informed consumers.

Gotta run. Getting up early to go search for parts for that $20 oil catch can....[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-19-2004, 11:08 AM
moparturd
Banned

How is linking me to another forum "PROOF"? Your in law inforcement? Do base your cases on simple hear-say, if your an investigator? Come on now[sm=smiley5.gif]. Too, what I stated wasn't false, if the particles are the same size as what's being produced in the combustion chamber (carbon), they should be filtered out. That's what the oil filter is for, right? Randy_W said that smaller particles will stay in suspension which is true.

My experience with the product has been good, all good. I have had several high mileage vehicles that operated flawlessly with the K&N.

I suppose we need to agree to disagree on this one.[sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 04-19-2004, 02:24 PM
sgbofav
Professional

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

How is linking me to another forum "PROOF"? Your in law inforcement? Do base your cases on simple hear-say, if your an investigator? Come on now[sm=smiley5.gif]. Too, what I stated wasn't false, if the particles are the same size as what's being produced in the combustion chamber (carbon), they should be filtered out. That's what the oil filter is for, right? Randy_W said that smaller particles will stay in suspension which is true.

My experience with the product has been good, all good. I have had several high mileage vehicles that operated flawlessly with the K&N.

I suppose we need to agree to disagree on this one.[sm=smiley24.gif]

Yes we do need to agree to disagree.

I never used the word proof and I know the elements of a crime. I posted links to unhappy K&N users and you take it as bashing K&N. What is wrong with giving others additional information to let them make an educated decision regarding their trucks?

If you don't like the fact that not everyone holds K&N filters in such high regard, that is your issue. Most here agree that their trucks are an investment. My point is to give members (who don't know) as much information as possible to make a good decision without marketing hype.

I have used plain paper, K&N filters, and Flowzair filters. I am partial to Flowzair (no suprise). I have two of them, 1 for my Dakota and 1 for my Olds, and I have had good results. You have had good results with K&N.

High Silicone readings are a fact. Does this mean that you'll lose 25,000 miles off of your engine's life, I don't know nor do I have the answer. Is it wrong to give your vehicle the best protection possible? No.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:42 PM
sgbofav
Professional

Here is another person who had the same sealing problem with his K&N that I experienced. Notice that his "hype" Amsoil went 15,450 miles . http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...=001456#000000

Unbiased as it gets .

Old 04-19-2004, 04:08 PM
moparturd
Banned

Geez. Isn't it a coincidence that the post was made an hour before you replied to this thread, and the only one so far on that thread. You've made me a believer.[sm=smiley2.gif] Not only is it a new post, but a single/first post for that user, and the profile says their occupation is a research scientist.
How convenient.

Research scientist in what? Let me guess, oil analysis.

This is actually becoming pretty entertaining although not much of a challenge, but thanks. This has been fun. Good luck.[sm=smiley14.gif]

Old 04-19-2004, 04:25 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I'm just having trouble coming to terms with an "aftermarket" filter that is supposed to perform better than the OEM's "high performance " filter which is a "clone" of K&N's design. I realize Ram's and SRT-4's have little in common other than the parent company, so maybe this is just a Ram issue...just to be safe, I bought some K&N sealing grease. Bring on the contaminates!!!!![sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 04-19-2004, 04:33 PM
MAYOR

Well.....I started this thread hoping to find some answers. Still not sure if I found one. Everyone has their own opinion, and for those who negatively speak of k&N and their cotton gauze filters they have only provided me with data that silicon levels increase. I'll agree with that. However, in order to prove the hypothesis correct, I have not seen any hard data linking the increased silicon levels to actual engine damage. If k&n was an inferior product I cant believe that they would still have such market share, and OEM's surely wouldn't put them in their vehicles if it were. I dont know the science, but I am leaning to a post earlier by Randy_W (off-shore boat racer) that the silicon particles are small enough that they remain in supension and wont cause damage.....Anyway, we probalby could debate this thing until armegeddon and still not resolve the issue without hard data...........Dusty.......Did you hear anything back from K&N?

Old 04-19-2004, 04:55 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Negative as of 1300 hours local. It's only been one business day though. I'll see if they come thru by COB tomorrow...I'll let ya know.[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 04-19-2004, 05:10 PM
moparturd
Banned

Amen.

Quick Reply: CAI / Gauze filters and damaging oil contaminants