Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

CAI / Gauze filters and damaging oil contaminants

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 05:32 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CAI / Gauze filters and damaging oil contaminants

You right about the new post regarding the sealing issue. I posted the link because he had the same problem I had. I know nothing about the guy and don't know who he works for.

For fun, I'm going to start a post on the Air filter forum regarding the High silicone levels and see what the resident experts at bitog have to say. I also mentioned that I can't prove any reduced engine life with high silicone (sand levels) . Feel free to watch my post. My nickname at BITOG is "SSlube" . http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...&f=15&t=000227

The K&N sealing grease should help with the edge sealing issues. In my case, the grease may have helped. I opted to use a product that was less expensive (Flowzair) and get commissions off of my own order as a dealer. No secrets here.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:47 PM
MAYOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this post...............

February 27, 2004
Why I only use K&N filters

Years ago, I only used foam filters - OEM, (brand names removed) on my motocross bikes. If I over-oiled the filter, the bikes ran too rich and ran poorly. Every now and then I'd get too little oil in part of the foam, allowing dirt into the motor. We called this "sanding" the motor. I had to re-bore the motor, and replace the piston, rings and sometime the crank and bearings. You could only re-bore the cylinder a few times before replacement was required. At the time, it seemed to be "one of those things" that all of us racers had to endure.

When I purchased a used CAN-AM motocross bike, it had a K&N filter. Due to the placement and design of the airbox, I found I could remove the seat and bang the rubber top of the filter to knock off the loose stuff, and re-oil. It didn't seem to matter if I put too much oil on it, since excess oil would drain off overnight. So much easier, and I never had to re-bore that engine. So, I guess I was using your filters because I was lazy and it was easy. And it worked better. Soon I would learn how much better...

I won all three motos (heats) at a track with a lot of sand and dust. I noticed the bike seemed to be running richer at top RPMs as the race went on. I still won, so I just assumed the filter was a litter clogged. Back at home, I removed the seat and saw the filter was completely buried in sand! A section of the rear fender broke off, allowing the rear tire to fill the airbox with sand. I was shocked that it even ran. I tore down the motor, figuring I sanded it. Nope. The inside of the motor, carb and intake were completely clean. I put the motor back together and raced it another 2 years before I sold it.

There is no doubt in my mind that a foam filter would have cost me the race, and I would have sanded the motor. My formula for long lasting engines is simple - good gas, good oil, proper break-in and a K&N filter. I've never lost a K&N-equipped motor since.

Thanks for making such a great product. It has saved me a pile of money over the years.

(PS - Feel free to edit this if you want. Folks need to know your filters really DO work better, not just last longer and make more horsepower.)

Ken Elliott
Clearwater FL

Old 04-25-2004, 05:15 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got a response from K&N after waiting a week. It looks more like a "canned" answer than one that somebody actually put some thought into...
It basically refers me back to the K&N website to re-read what I already found out last week. So much for any new info...[:@]

Quick Reply: CAI / Gauze filters and damaging oil contaminants