Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Nissan Titan Secret Shopper

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 04:09 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan Titan Secret Shopper

As you can tell, I own a Dodge Ram Hemi, and I love it. But with all the posts and trash talking Titan owners do, I felt the need to see one of these trucks in person. I went in with an open mind and tried to be as objective as possible.

I looked at a 2006 Titan 4wd SE Extended Cab. My overall impression of the exterior appearance: decent, but cheap materials. One example is the rear bumper. It is flimsy compared to a Dodge, Ford, or Chevy. If you noticed the lights on the bumper - that illuminate your license plate - the Titan has cheap chrome colored plastic with Christmas light sized bulbs. This is not a big deal, but it indicates a theme throughout the truck. I will give them this, they did a great job with the tailgate assist. It is extremely easy to open - unlike my Dodge - and the cargo track and spray in liner were nice. Again, this wouldn't make me buy the truck, but were nice additions. This leads to my second impression. If I was to buy a Titan (this one priced at $31,000), I'd want to make sure my door handles did not wobble around when I opened the door. This particular Titan had 200 miles on it, so I was surprised the door handles were this weakend after only 200 miles. Again, not a big deal, but a new truck shouldn't do this (My 2004 Ram feels just as sturdy as the day I bought it). Enough about the exterior, you guys get the point.

As for the interior, not bad for an import but still far below the domestics. The plastics are cheap and flimsy on the doors, dash, center console and overhead bins. What stuck out were the handles on the front pillars. I tugged on the driver side to feel its sturdiness and it started to pull off (good thing the Nissan sales rep didn't see it!). The seats felt cheap as well, the arm support bars wobbled back and forth on passenger and driver side. Plus, I'm not a big fan of the neoprene style seats. In my opinion, the new F150 has the best seats, but the Titan is near the bottom. The overhead digital readout screen lacked standard information I have on my Dodge. For example, it tells you the outside temperature and direction, but nothing more . . . no mpg estimate (like my Dodge), no timer (like my Dodge), no dimming feature (like my Dodge), etc. The instrument cluster wasn't laid out properly. The traction control and differential locker were located at the base of the center console - hard to reach. The chrome "Nissan" logo on the steering wheel had lost it's "chrome painted" surface (another surprise after only 200 miles). Don't get me started on the center console. The plastics were cheap, the grip on the cup holders rubbed off with little effort, and everytime I pulled a latch, I felt like I was going to break something. What did I like about the Titan interior? The rear seats fold in a way to allow maximum loading (they fold like a Ram so you can load the bottom) and the rear doors opened all the way.

Now for the fun part . . . the test drive. With all the trash talking I hear from Titan owners, I was prepared for a Formula 1 car engine under the hood. Not quite. I would rate the engine and transmission better than a Ford, Chevy, or Toyota, but slightly below a Dodge. One noticable differece, there is a lag in the Titan between mashing on the gas pedal and the power kicking in. It felt like the truck was driving me, not me driving the truck. I would compare it to driving a Nissan Maxima or Honda Accord, instead of a truck. Don't get me wrong, it is quick, but it does not feel as powerful as a Hemi. You fellow Hemi owners know what I'm talking about - that feeling when you stomp on the gas pedal and hold on for dear life. Plus, I don't care what "automotive expert" says about acceleration, a Quad Cab Hemi will keep up with this Titan anyday of the week. I knew this from experience (racing stoplight to stoplight or on the freeway), but this test drive confirmed it. Compared to my Hemi Ram, the Titan is quicker 0-30, but 30-60+ the Hemi has it beat.

My overall impression is this - a Titan is NOT the worst truck out there, but it is not the "challenge to the Big 3" that some people say. See, if we are comparing powertrains, then yes it is a challenge - it blows away a Ford or Chevy, but I'll put it up against a Dodge anytime. IF we are comparing overall driving impression and quality, then it fails miserably against the domestics. The Titans materials are cheap, flimsy in some spots, embarassing in others. I don't mean to sound biased, but I expected more from this truck. To me, it seemed Nissan put the emphasis on the engine and transmission, threw a few gadgets at it (box behind rear fender, cargo rack, and bed liner) and put it on the market. I did not feel refinement, attention to detail, and durability truck owners demand. Maybe this is confirmed by the fact Nissan still hasn't reached its original goal of selling 100,000 a year.

Well, sorry to ramble, but thought you guys might like an honest impression from a Ram owner. Overall, it confirmed what I thought . . . the Dodge Ram Hemi is the right truck, in size, in power, in quality, in ruggedness, and in proven track record. I would encourage you guys to go to a Nissan dealer and do the same thing. You'll be happy you own a Dodge.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:21 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Nissan Titan Secret Shopper

That's a very informative opinion. I think the Titan has the potential to give the Ram its best competition in a couple years. You had to understand that this really is Nissan's first attempt and first model in the Full size realm. Considering the company isnt used to building full size trucks, I found the Titan to actually be quite an impressive truck.

I'd buy it over anything Ford, Chevy, and anything less then a Hemi powered Dodge. However, give them another 2 yrs or so, and I think they will be giving Dodge a great challenge AND great competition. Both Chevy and Ford have been owned by the Ram for the last 10 yrs in my personal opinion, so its nice to see a truck that could potentially push the Ram into even better places.

The Titan is overhyped, but its still the 2nd best truck you can buy in a gas powered motor.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:17 PM
MGDMike
Champion

Nice assessment!! Good to see somebody besides a magazine give an impression once in a while.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:27 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

The Titan is a very nice truck. I think the rear seat room is the biggest thing that is better about them than our quadcabs. Their crew cabs have alot more space. If you get the LE package, you get leather and all the works. I think this is a very good attempt from nissan. They have a very hightech engine, and in crewcab form, it takes on the hemis. What is it, like a 5.6 DOHC v-8? They underate their horsepower too. I am very impressed with the Titan and it would be my second shoice for a truck.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:53 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good review. I'm not a fan of Nissans interior either. I have a aunt that has an Altima that is a year old, and the leather looks like it is five years old. It is not aging well. It look great new, but not anymore.

HemiMann4451, the Mega Cab makes up for the difference.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Spear_em

I stopped in at a Nissan dealer the other day, and looked at it like you said (eventhough I've always thought it was Butt-Ugly in the first place; though I didnt test drive it). I opened the door to look at the interior and the leather and plastic reminded me of the interior in my wifes Chevy Tracker....Cheap, and flimsy! I dont care what anyone says especially DevilsReject; For a truck that is rated so high; I'd expect less flaws, and better interior material no matter if it is Nissan's first truck! I'd definetly take a FORD or a Chevy over this piece of crapola anyday!

Old 12-16-2005, 11:57 PM
thump186
Record Breaker

Very nice to see an honest opinion on it and not some magazine hype about it. I do have to agree with revils reject in saying give it time and nissan may well give um a run for thier money.

Old 12-18-2005, 04:25 AM
chryslertruck

do their dashboard crack easily?

Old 12-18-2005, 11:52 AM
homerun

And you guys call this an "honest opnion"? There was nothing objective about it. If the Dodge is such a great truck, why does CHevy and Ford outsell it. Why does Nissan out perform it. C'mon guys, write an honest review. I have yet to hear of wobbly door handles, or the Nissan emplbem metal coming off-that's pure BS!!

There's a reason why the Titan keeps winning awards, and the Dodge doesn't. You don't have to agree with the "experts", but there's a reason why they're experts and you're not. There's a reason why they pick the Titan over the Dodge and you don't-it's called BEING SMART!!

Old 12-19-2005, 09:54 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Competition is good.

Let's hope that Dodge responds to the Titan (and the Ridgeline) and meets some of their better features.

The Titan needs a better differential than the 'Super44' and the Ridgeline needs a longer bed.

Both the Titan and Ridgeline are more aerodynamic than the Ram so let's hope the engineers at DC are turned loose in the wind tunnel to match or better them.

The Titan's 5 speed automatic is impressive, and Dodge should re-double their efforts to offer reliable and high performance transmissions in the Ram...including a computer shifted manual like the DSG or SMT. DC should even consider swallowing its pride and buying a trans for the Ram from Jatco like they have for the new Dodge Nitro. (Jatco is a Nissan subsidary) Consider that BMW swallowed their pride and bought an engine for the Mini from a Dodge factory in Brazil.

All the pickups need to be made stronger, stiffer and lighter at the same time.

Ghosn recently said Nissan
"is an American company because that is where the majority of our profits are made"
and is moving Nissan headquarters to Nashville TN. (note this is a statement by a Brazilian born French citizen about a company founded in Japan whose stock is half owned by Renault and where Renault's stock is half owned by Nissan after Nissan bought it from the French government...go figure that spiderweb out)

Dieter Zetsche is a german born, german educated engineer & US Citizen who recently gave a farewell speech in Detroit where he said 'I will always be a Chrysler man' as he left to take over Mercedes. Zetsche had previously been president of Freightliner Trucks. His job is now to 'Americanize' the factories in Germany that can no longer compete on the global market.

Both GM and Ford are making slight profits overseas and losing money on sales inside the USA.

You can truthfully say that US citizens are propping up Mercedes and Nissan by buying their products - and that foreigners are propping up GM and Ford.

I won't say the world is changing for the better,
but the world is changing.

Quick Reply: Nissan Titan Secret Shopper