Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

And the cat saga continues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 02:04 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default And the cat saga continues...

O.K., so the muffler shop pressure tests the cats and confirms that they are plugged. They take some measurements & #'s off the cats so they can try to match them up with a replacement... So I think to myself, great finally going to get somewhere on this problem... 2 hours later I go to start the Ram & major mis-fire... running on 7 maybe 6 cylinders, CE light comes on. When I get it home, I read the codes stored & it tells me there's a missfire on #8... so I slap a timing light on it & it looks o.k. and it makes me wonder... how does the ECU know it's the # 8 cylinder? Is it monitoring the RPM & cylinder timing to determine which cylinder is a problem?

I didn't have much time to go through it but the #8 cylinder is the closest to the cat that's plugged the most (690 deg), with this much heat is it possible to damage a valve on that cylinder?

Quick Reply: And the cat saga continues...