Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Need more pulling power

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 04:47 PM
AVI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more pulling power

Hi all, first post here!
I have a '99 Quad Cab 1500 with the 5.9L, 3.55 gears, LT265-75R16 tires and has 117,000 miles and I would like to increase the power without any major modifications. I just bought the truck so I'm not sure of its history.

The truck seems to run and idle fine but seems a little gutless at freeway speeds and will even kick out of overdrive on some freeway overpasses which are small hills to say the least. When I tow my 5000lb trailer it cannot run in overdrive at all for the lack of power.

What can I do that is reletively inexpensive improve its power?
I already installed a K&N filter.
The CAT was replaced just before I bought it.
I believe the plugs are new (under 10k miles) but would it be worth it for me to change the dist, plugs, and wires? If I do change plugs do you suggest I go with the standard plug or a slightly cooler plug like the Autolite 3923?

Is there anything else I should do or check for? I realize that changing the gears would help but thats a bit out of budget at the moment.

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm not very technical with autos but try to do what I can myself so I dont get raped by the garages.

Old 04-22-2004, 05:31 PM
kevro7
Rookie
Default RE: Need more pulling power

Can't say that I can help you much, but I'm in about the same situation. I have a '98 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4. The only difference is mine has the 5.2L 318. 120,000+ miles. kicks out of overdrive on small hills, but otherwise runs quite well. I put on a K&N, changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and plugs. Also changed the O2 sensors which seemed to help. Anybody else have any ideas?

kevin

Old 04-22-2004, 06:24 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing you need to do is a compression check to see what kind of shape the engine is in. If all is well, I'd get some headers and maybe a new cam for soem more torque. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:17 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

I have an '02 4.7L 1500 4X4 with K&N. The thing would kick out of OD with cruise at 60mph on a moderate hill, and this was empty!!!! I just swapped out the stock muffler for a glasspack. And do 70 without it downshifting. And yes it does 60 fine. I Think that the free-flowing exhaust will do you good. The glasspack is louder and meaner sounding. Any of the more flow exhausts should be good.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Ratchet
Rookie

I've heard nothing but bad things when changing to a different style spark plug, so I would recommend staying with the Champion plugs that came stock with your truck. Putting a new cap and rotor on would be a good idea if it's never been done... but if it's power you're looking for, a new exhaust/muffler/headers sounds like it would be the best way to go. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2004, 12:32 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Agree. Intake/exhaust upgrades on most vehicles are the most cost-effective way to increase power....[sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 04-23-2004, 04:27 AM
synseq

What you need is a Cummins. I work @ the facility that manufactures these bad boys and you would never have "pulling problems" again if you got one of those. 325 HP/600 Ft. Lbs. of Torque.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:32 PM
AVI

Thanks for the reply guys! As for the Cummins - I'd love one but I feel lucky enough to have a truck this new on my current budget.

Quick Reply: Need more pulling power