Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Synthetic or regular oil at 3,000 mile change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 12:47 AM
excelent3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic or regular oil at 3,000 mile change?

I am nearing my first oil change at 3,000 miles. I have always been told that you should allow the motor to breakin real good before using synthetic, to allow for all the engine parts to form a good "marriage".

I called my head service advisor at the Dodge dealership where I purchased my Ram and he told me to put the synthetic in, it will be fine. He told me this motor has different design characteristics than older engines.

I know many cars now use synthetic right from the factory (Mercedes, BMW,etc.)

I had planned on using Valvoline Synthetic blend but I would like some commentary/input from this forum first.

I put in this same oil in my Chevy 454 powered motorhome at 60K and could not believe how much difference it made in how quiet and how much smoother the engine ran, it was incredible.

I plan on driving my Ram for a long time, so I want to do the right thing.

Should I use the blended synthetic? If so, how often would you change oil, at what intervals under the extreme B schedule, as I tow alot?

Old 04-24-2004, 01:31 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Synthetic or regular oil at 3,000 mile change?

You're right in thinking along the synthetic line....just make sure it's 100% synthetic like Mobil 1 or Amsoil. They also put Mobil 1 synthetic in Dodge Vipers and Dodge SRT-4's right from the factory...that should give you a clue as to how well they work.

Avoid the blends, and stick to the owner's manual/dealer's recommendations for the scheduled changes, usually 3 mo/3,000 miles, even though syn oil can last longer.

It's cheap insurance, even at $4.95 a quart.......[sm=smiley16.gif]

Old 04-24-2004, 02:49 AM
BigDave
Professional

I just went to 10W30 Mobil1 at 2000 miles. I noticed that the Hemi tick didn't become loud during prolong idle as it did before. My mileage is up, but I also increased my tire pressure, so I can't confirm improved mileage due to the oil change.

Old 04-24-2004, 02:52 AM
Vader
Champion

After break in, I went with Amsoil. I am satisfied with my decision.

Quick Reply: Synthetic or regular oil at 3,000 mile change?