Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Towing with a 2004 Ram 1500 Quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 05:43 PM
wengerda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with a 2004 Ram 1500 Quad

This weekend I was towing my camper and here are my observations. The trailer weights dry 5200lbs. I did not have more than extra 1000lbs. Anyone who pulls a trailer in this forum, do you feel a push and pull in the vehicle? Like a boat rocking? Another thing, when I was towing in flat areas I was at less than 2000rpms. Large hills I was at 4700rpms. Is that high rpm's bad for the truck? Sorry for this questions but I am new and I want to make sure that I am not damaging something on the truck. I do have a reece weight distribution system. Thanks,

2004 1500 Ram 4x4 3.93 axle, Quad

Old 04-26-2004, 07:28 PM
uhoh
Rookie
Default RE: Towing with a 2004 Ram 1500 Quad

My travel trailer is not as heavy empty but I weigh in a 6000 lbs loaded. I did pull the trailer without the distribution hitch the other day and it smooth and stable, no rocking or bucking. I suspect it will be great with the hitch. My Ford pulled this same trailer very well.

I did the pull the sled trailer around quite a bit this winter. It weighs in around 4000 lbs. I wound up turning the OD off most of the time unless the terrain allowed the OD to work ok. On the big hills the truck has to shift into 2 and will pull big rpms if the speeds are high. In my opinion the engine is designed for higher rpm but I would not hold it there for too awful long instead I would slow down to something closer to the speed limit, ha ha.

Old 04-27-2004, 01:01 PM
gotsnow?
Default RE: Towing with a 2004 Ram 1500 Quad

I also pulled my camper this weekend.It is around the same weight as yours, and i noticed the same characteristics as you. The rocking you feel is normal, and will be reduced with the distributing hitch.
What drove me crazy, is that on smaller hills when 3,000 rpm seemed to be the ideal spot, the tranny would downshift and bog. I would goose the pedal and the rpm's would jump to 4,000+, which seemed too much. This was with the O/D turned off. I was wishing for a standard, and cursing the dumb computer!
Climbing hills was also interesting with the new k&n intake, as we sounded like a stockcar going down the back straightaway.
As far as high revs go, I wouldn't worry too much. When you go camping, don't be in a hurry to get there, and change your oil frequently.

Quick Reply: Towing with a 2004 Ram 1500 Quad