Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Check Engine Light...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 02:52 PM
CanadianRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light...HELP!

I've been driving my new to me 96' Ram with 10,000 miles for a month now and have been having trouble with the Check Engine Light. I've reset the computer 3 times and it always comes back on again. First 2 times it was a week after resetting, this last time it was 2 days. I'm probably going to take it in and have the codes checked soon but I've also been told by some hobby mechanics that the check engine light is a joke and just to remove the bulb. Any ideas or opinions out there? Help would be appreciated.
Cheers!

Old 05-12-2004, 03:42 PM
rsenter
Default RE: Check Engine Light...HELP!

Man that's low mileage for an 8-year-old truck! Nice! My 02' Ram's check engine light likes to go on all the time too. I tend to refuel without turning off my truck and the computer senses a decrease in vacuum pressure and triggers the light. If you turn off your truck every time you refuel, check the seal on your gas cap for a tight fit/click it 4 times when you replace it - then reset your computer or wait for 1k miles. If it continues, take 'er in.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:56 PM
bullitt1229
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not 100% sure but I think if you take your truck into the dealer to have them read the codes the dealer will charge you. I believe AutoZone will run a code check for free. I know on my old Camry my light would come on all the time. Turned out it was a faulty O2 sensor. Also, if you have a personal mechanic, he should be able to read the codes as well.

Old 05-12-2004, 09:07 PM
WTRPIXI

As far as I'm aware, the check engine light is mainly a warning system for emissions. Our '00 Ram had the Check Engine light come on a bunch of times because of a faulty O2 sensor. One possibility that it could be.

What was the origional codes for that you kept getting?

Yes, Autozone will do free diognostic code readings.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:14 PM
JCswm
Veteran

That light is no joke!!!!!
You need to know what It's telling you!!!!!!
Get the codes read for free if you can & post the codes
We'll figure it out

Old 05-13-2004, 02:00 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You people kill me-you disconnect the battery so I can't see what was going on then you slam me on the internet because I charge you so much to fix your car. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TO MAKE THE LIGHT GO AWAY. Go to the dealer or wherever and get it fixed. If start leaking oil you dont wipe up the mess and pretend it doesnt exsist-you find the leak. When the check engine light comes on the PCM stores a whole bunch of info at that exact moment to make it so much easier for me to find out why it came on. You are not helping. Please stop, and tell youre buddies to stop too.

Old 05-13-2004, 02:10 AM
JCswm
Veteran

ORIGINAL: dodgemech

You people kill me-you disconnect the battery so I can't see what was going on then you slam me on the internet because I charge you so much to fix your car. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TO MAKE THE LIGHT GO AWAY. Go to the dealer or wherever and get it fixed. If start leaking oil you dont wipe up the mess and pretend it doesnt exsist-you find the leak. When the check engine light comes on the PCM stores a whole bunch of info at that exact moment to make it so much easier for me to find out why it came on. You are not helping. Please stop, and tell youre buddies to stop too.
I Agree 100%

Old 05-13-2004, 03:22 AM
chfjim
Veteran

If you turn the ignition from off to aux. threeyimes very quikly without actually starting it the check engine light will flash the code or if you have a digital display center sometimes it will display the code. then just call a local dealer or mechanic or post it!

Old 05-14-2004, 01:41 PM
CanadianRAM

Thanks all! I'm going to have it checked this weekend and will let you know Hope it is nothing serious...

Old 05-18-2004, 03:12 PM
CanadianRAM

Ok, Mechanic thinks it might be the O2 sensor. But that was without hooking up a computer and reading the codes. But he said to take a 20 minute 110kms/hr road trip to try to burn out the sensor, sometimes that apparently helps. So I tried that and the check engine light is still on. Any other recommendations?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light...HELP!