Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

New HEMI Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 05:42 AM
RuckstaR
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HEMI Mileage

Right now im getting about 7.7-7.8 MPG ( as stated by my trip computer) around the city. I got the truck 3 days ago and it only has 89 total KILOMETRES on it. I'm not driving agressively at all as i'm still getting used to the truck. This mileage seems very low to me considering what it's supposed to get, and compared to what others are experiencing. Is this normal for a brand new engine before it breaks in? HELP! LoL

Old 06-01-2004, 06:44 AM
Viper_iii
Default RE: New HEMI Mileage

Hit reset on the trip computer

it may have idle time where you or the dealer wasn't driving.

anyway hit reset on the trip computer this should help..

I get 14-17 on the freeway

in town lucky to get 10...

anyway...

let us know

Old 06-01-2004, 03:42 PM
scrizzle
Rookie

too early for you to be calculating gas mileage. In a few weeks you should be on par with everyone else.

Old 06-01-2004, 06:22 PM
RuckstaR
Professional

Thanks guys. After resetting the trip computer the mileage is looking better, not as good as it should, but better. I was also thinkin that itd settle down in a few weeks as well; it only makes sense that the engine needs to break in first.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:58 PM
JC
Professional

with 3,000 miles, i'm getting 13 mpg in the city, and i hit 16.9 today on the highway comin home from Austin...

Old 06-02-2004, 12:50 AM
B12Teuton
Professional

What grade fuel are you using?
Reason I ask is that they recomend 89 octane for the HEMI. Yes, it will run "ok" on 87 and gas ain't cheap, but the engine should retard the timing at the first sign of detonation, thus making less power and giving you worse mileage on regular 87 than on 89 octane.

I haven't tested this out on my HEMI, but it is certainly true on the wife's Passat. VW says to use premium and mileage was much better, even just driving on the highway... tank after tank. Same day, same trip. On 87 it never got more than 27mpg; on 93 it got more like 33mpg. Always with the cruise control set near 75mph. That doesn't sound like a lot, but that's almost an extra 90 miles between fill-ups, and that's certanly worth a couple of extra bucks at the pump (especially on a roadtrip).

Food for thought.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:21 AM
BigDave
Professional

I'm getting 14-15mpg on average with mixed driving. I can baby it to over 18+, but I can't drive that way for long: too boring!!!

Old 06-02-2004, 04:35 AM
slvrmagnum
Professional

If anyone has driven in Colorado, you know how many mountain climbs and passes there are. Well I drove from Glenwood Springs to Denver last week and went over 3 passes, two of which were over 10,000 feet and long climbs. It thought my milage would suck... well it didnt... I got the best milage ever...

20.2MPG was the average and I backed it up with hand calcs...

In the city I usually get about 12-15MPG depending on how many ricers and other truck I spank....[sm=smiley15.gif]

Old 06-02-2004, 07:35 AM
RuckstaR
Professional

Well my dealer filled it up for me when I bought it on saturday, and I'm still on that tank so chances are really good that they used 87. I was plannin on using the 89 my next fill up anyways, so hopefully that will make some difference.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:15 PM
B12Teuton
Professional

ORIGINAL: RuckstaR

Well my dealer filled it up for me when I bought it on saturday, and I'm still on that tank so chances are really good that they used 87. I was plannin on using the 89 my next fill up anyways, so hopefully that will make some difference.
Same here, but I can already hear it knocking, so I'm going to fill it with 93 once I'm 1/2 through this tank of 87. The mix should give me 90 octane.

Quick Reply: New HEMI Mileage