Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Has anyone used the air ram intake or have an intake suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 11:19 AM
lawntycoon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone used the air ram intake or have an intake suggestion?

i guess there are a lot of "addicts" here. LOL (INTAKE ADDICTS)

Old 06-04-2004, 12:13 PM
airbrat
Professional

If you could find an equivalent intake that offers the same style filter w/ the same construction as those expensive boys (i.e. mandrel bent piping or similar) then why would you still purchase the more expensive units? Unlike your more expensive mods like computer chips and pulleys all we're talking about here is a more efficient filter w/ optimally designing plumbing.

I see intakes in ebay all day long for $40 bucks that offer the better intake and intake plumbing design yet I still see everyone scrambling for these overpriced name brand intakes.

Oh well its not everyday I see some form of bandwagon jumping.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:04 AM
BigDave
Professional

What Bandwagon you talking about? The Ebay bandwagon?

I purchased an aFe Intake after much research, and you may have noticed aFe isn't a very popular intake, but that's fine with me - no bandwagon here. I like it's low rpm performance increase, versus the high rpm increases that you get from some of the other systems.

How does your Ebay system perform? Has it ever been dyno'ed? Do you know any satisfied users? What quality is the filter? How long will the filter last? What's the warranty terms? Is there someone who would actually honor the warranty? Does it even fit on your truck? How do you know it's the same construction? How much money will you save when a no name filter allows crap into your engine? Why would you want to put something that cheap and risky on a 25-35,000 dollar truck?

Buy a quality system from a reputable manufacturer, and you won't be dissappointed, better yet you'll probably end-up spending a lot less money in the long run.

Old 06-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Jash927

Boy you airram buyers are touchy. I went with the fipk for about the same price, I trust thier experienced engineers over someone building intakes in their garage. So there are no joints on the inside of your airram pipes? oh and I have seen the airram in pictures with the Hemi resonator on, but I have seen it with them off too, just to clear that up.

Old 06-05-2004, 04:34 PM
glock45
Professional

Cheaper is not always better. On the same token you dont want to waste money on overpriced items.
Once again no specific manufacture or part number was given in defense of the $40 air intake.
You have to research everything you buy (expecially from EBAY) as there are alot of knock offs. I laugh at most of the low price ads as they usually say something like "K&N style filter"...what does that mean? If it looks like a K&N it isnt a piece of crap?

I see alot of intakes for $40 but they are usually a short pipe that ends up with the filter in the heat zone of the engine so basically you bought a nice looking hot air intake. Also metal intake pipes (mandrel bent or not) heat up and retain the heat alot more than the AIRRAM with its insulation.

To each thier own but I personally would rather "waste" a few extra dollars on my truck than go with cheap, ineffective parts. After all if you are purchasing aftermarket parts isnt your intention for better performance?

My 2 cents.

Old 06-05-2004, 04:42 PM
glock45
Professional

I was looking at the K&N FIPK myself but that was more expensive and was not as well insulated as the AIRRAM was. For my 02 1500 4.7 QC the AIRRAM was the best pick.

There is alot of information in regards to intakes but here is the sum of what I have found:

1) The colder the air to the engine the better
2) The more air the better

I think following these two things from what I have read is the best way to look for your intake.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Jash927

The insulation that is on the airram is sold at home depot, I was actually thinking of putting it on my fipk because it is a great idea. Supposedly the fipk is supposed to be made out of a plastic resin that doesn't hold heat, I havn't received mine yet so it remains to be seen.

Old 06-06-2004, 01:20 AM
glock45
Professional

Definately let us know how it looks when you get it. It would be interesting to see the temp difference between stock and the FIPK unit.

I would like to measure the differnce between my stock unit and the AIRRAM, maybe I need to run to radio shack and get some supplies to measure it....hmmmmmmm.

Anyone have a good idea on how to measure the temp without drilling a hole in my intakes?[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 06-06-2004, 03:47 AM
jak112460

Has anyone done a before and after dyno run on their truck with a new air intake on?

Old 06-06-2004, 05:09 AM
Jash927

I'm gonna look around town for a dyno, Houston is the 4th largest city in the US, there has to be a dyno layin around somewhere.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the air ram intake or have an intake suggestion?