Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

1996 Ram exhaust manifold leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:17 PM
NastyNate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Ram exhaust manifold leak

Hey guys im new to the forum and somewhat new to Dodge Rams, but I know my fare share of automobiles. I have a 1996 Ram 5.9L 2wd and Im recently installed the gibson headers on there with all of the supplied hardware. The things leak like crazy, and they will not stop. When installed all the bolts were tight, and re-tigtened again after about 200 miles. Now I have to tighten some of the bolts everyweek just so the headers dont leak. Anyone had this problem? Any sugestions on new hardware? My viewpoint of gibson is garbage now. Appreciate your input.

Nathan

Old 06-07-2004, 11:23 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1996 Ram exhaust manifold leak

Common problem with headers, I've run about every manufacter of header and very few are total garbage-most are pretty good. It's usually not the headers fault they leak it's the crappy gaskets. Go buy some good gaskets, I use Felpro on my El Camino, I check them once a year and thats it. With the junk Mr Gasket ones I would lose bolts just driving down the street they backed off so fast. Earls also makes a pretty good gasket.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:52 PM
NastyNate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1996 Ram exhaust manifold leak

Yeah thats what I was starting to come to. I picked up some fel-pro's from the local parts supplier, and ordered some grade 8 locking bolts with retainers. Thats for the reply man.

Quick Reply: 1996 Ram exhaust manifold leak