Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Need more speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:45 AM
goat ruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more speed

Hi all,
I just picked up my 04 1500 this week. It is the 4x4 SL SWB with 4.7 and auto. I'm a bit concerned because it is so slow. It has plenty of power when I'm driving, but when I go to pass someone, nothing really happens. I've heard that the 5spd auto is a "soft" shift tranny, so I loose about 1/3 of my hp when it's down shifting. I need to do something because my Dad's ford 150 with a4.6, 4x4, auto will fly by me on the freeway like I'm not even moving, and he isn't letting me forget it.
I can only afford 500-600 bucks this fall, so my plan was to with a chip to fix the "soft"shift, and iron out any other computer barriers; followed by a K&N filter and finnally either a better exhaust or TB. Any suggestions, is that the best way to spend my limited funds?
Also, how are these newer Dodge trannies. Are the still falling part like the late 90's? I've heard good things about them from guys with 02's and 03's, but they're running stock (and there's seem to down shift more aggressevily). Also is the "soft shift" feature a bunch of rumbish, or is it something that is neccessary to keep these things together? The Hemi's use the same tranny and put out a lot more HP than my 4.7 so they should be strong.
Please help, my daddy's picking on me.
Goat Truck

Old 06-24-2004, 04:02 AM
B][GT
Professional
Default RE: Need more speed

Not to sure wether the trannies are the same in the 4.7 and the 5.7, but.. when im on the highway at 100k and drop the hammer, you know it, the 5spd drops three gears, and push's you back in your seat till 140, and then it shifts. You are off the Hemi's power by 110hp / 80lbs torque. You can get a Jet chip, like you said a K&N, and a nice muffler like Magnaflow, Dynomax, Flowmaster. Not to sure what else to say.. sorry your dad passed you mine just like's smoking the tires off moms truck when he's around me! hah.. good ol' dads, gotta love em.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:02 AM
crcarch
Professional
Default RE: Need more speed

My Hemi is awesome from stop to 70-80. Above that, the wind gets a little hard to push the brick through. You may be having the same thing. My tranny doesn't shift as crisply as I'd like either. Typically, the factory wants a softer shift because it puts less stress on the drivetrain. Unfortunately, it also generates heat because of the slippage.

My B-in-law has a GMC 2500 with the 6L. He's not nearly as fast as the Hemi but his tranny has a great shift. He bought a Superchips tuner. It's a lot better than a chip because you can actually adjust it and apply different settings. One of them is the tranny. It really snaps the gears now that he tweaked it. I know they don't have a programmer available for my Hemi, but they may have one for the 4.7. Check Ebay. He's put a lot into his truck but said the programmer was the best $250 he's spent.

Quick Reply: Need more speed