Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Dumped Exhaust = Bad gas mileage????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 11:47 AM
DallasRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumped Exhaust = Bad gas mileage????

Dumped Exhaust = Bad gas mileage????

Is this true?

I have a 2003 4.7L reg. cab with a 40 series flowmaster dumped. It seems like I'm burning more gas lately, I sure as hell am paying more for it!!

Old 06-24-2004, 12:24 PM
brocus302
Default RE: Dumped Exhaust = Bad gas mileage????

you just have a heavier right foot now. that's all the problem is. i can't see you getting bad gas mileage because of no tailpipe. never heard of that before.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:55 PM
DallasRam

ORIGINAL: brocus302

you just have a heavier right foot now. that's all the problem is. i can't see you getting bad gas mileage because of no tailpipe. never heard of that before.
I do seem to be a little bit cocky around Fords,chevys, and those stupid Titans. But I try to conserve. Oh well

Old 06-25-2004, 12:37 AM
crcarch
Professional

I'm not familiar with the exact make-up of the the Flowmaster 40 series. Is it a two chamber or three? What size inlet/outlet? You may have gone too far in reducing backpressure by possibly putting on one that's too large and also loosing the backpressure gained from the tailpipe.

You can actually have too little back pressure. If the exhaust isn't effectively scavenging the exhaust, you're engine won't perform as well, although it might "sound" like it is, and your gas mileage could go down because the engine isn't running as efficiently. Going old school, if you put too large a carb on a motor it will bog down because intake velocity isn't there. On the opposite end, it the pipes too big, the exhaust gases aren't effectively pulled out of the cylinder, so the engine doesn't perform as well. There is a balance. Not too big, not too small, just right.

I read a post in Dodge Forum a few weeks back where someone was talking about an engine where exhaust mod's hurt performance. Maybe it was a 4.7.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:57 AM
SRT 8 guy
Professional

DallasRam, Hey what size bazooka tube do u have in ur reg cab and can u post a pic of it in there? I have been interested in installing one in my truck. Also how does it sound and how much power do u have running it?? And last question i promise what kind of music do u listen to mostly?

Old 06-25-2004, 06:45 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

I have an '02 4.7L with the "redneck" exhaust(18" glasspack), and it did hurt the milage. I used to get 13.5ish and now I get 12.2. I drive exactly the same (starts under 2500rpms). Sounds great but lasts short time haha

Old 06-25-2004, 11:29 AM
DallasRam

Hey RamIT,

Can you help this guy out? He wants to know if you can fit 33's on a 1500. Can you show him your pics? My tires are about 33 1/2, but there on aftermarket 20's so that doesn't help him.

Here's his thread

https://dodgeforum.com/tm.asp?m=47807

Old 06-25-2004, 11:45 AM
DallasRam

ORIGINAL: SRT 8 guy

DallasRam, Hey what size bazooka tube do u have in ur reg cab and can u post a pic of it in there? I have been interested in installing one in my truck. Also how does it sound and how much power do u have running it?? And last question i promise what kind of music do u listen to mostly?

This is probably not what you wanted to hear......I don'thave a bazooka tube I have 2 - 10" Bazooka EL subs. And a pretty small Bazooka amp on them. I can't remeber the power but it's probably 75 watts RMS per channel. I listen to classic rock and some newer rock. It's just what I wanted. Subs are in a pretty small box.

Here a link to my pics.

https://dodgeforum.com/tm.asp?m=3741...=1&key=&#37411

Old 06-25-2004, 01:52 PM
SRT 8 guy
Professional

Oh well thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: Dumped Exhaust = Bad gas mileage????