Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

power programming chips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:57 PM
dodgeram56
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power programming chips?

Ok i have no idea how these things work and I have read alot about them here and have seen them on TV. I know some people swear by these things or at least it seems like it but i was wondering if it is just in these peoples heads or do these things actually work well.

If they do what is the best one to get? In your opinion

Old 07-10-2004, 06:04 AM
edlance
Default RE: power programming chips?

Your engine is controlled by an onboard computer. This computer monitors lots of functions, settings, readings, etc in the various engine components. It makes minor adjustments to various components in or on the engine as the variables (such as temperature, air density, etc) change around you as you are driving. The idea is for the engine to run smoothly and consistently regardless of any atmospheric or internal changes in the engine for whatever reason. In essence, your truck/car runs a program in its computer to do all this very much like your home computer runs programs to allow you to play games, surf the internet, etc.

Aftermarket "chips" or "boxes" alter the programming of the built in computer in order to provide more HP and torque by changing the boundaries of the "stock" code. Depending on the chip or box you use, it does this by either re-programming the onboard computer (saves a different program in it), or it intercepts the computer commands before they reach the various controls and alters the code on the fly.

Most stock engines are not tuned for optimum performance because in many cases this would cause the vehicle to fail emissions standards. Timings can be retarded, fuel/air mixtures reduced, etc....all in the name of passing those emissions standards. The balancing act is to provide plenty of power, yet pass the standards. Changing out chips or adding a box allows you to tune these settings for optimum performance for that particular engine, usually at the cost of higher emissions (and sometimes other things as well). The downside is, if your state requires emissions testing annually, you will probably have to put the stock chip back in, or unplug your control box to pass the test.

There are other downsides as well, especially for a new vehicle. These things can easily void your warranty. Not only does your onboard computer control your engine, it also keeps an eye on things and has the ability to take a "snap-shot" of what's happening in the code. This is usually done on a loop-type basis since there is obviously limited memory in the system (similar to the looped tape in a security video system). What this means is, assume you installed a chip or box and for some reason this causes a big problem in your engine and you blow a rod, or float a valve or something like that. The parameters that your engine was running at the time of the failure will most likely be available to the tech when they plug in their diagnostic computer. Any tech worth his/her salt should be able to identify the fact you were not running the system under stock conditions even if you unplug the box and/or put the stock chip back in. Bye-bye warranty.

Sometimes, when control parameters exceed acceptable limits too far, the computer will "set a code" (this usually results in some sort of light coming on on your dash). Even if there is no destruction of the engine, a smart tech will be able to figure out what happened, and again, bye-bye warranty.

On the good side, yes, these things really do work. Some engine types get more gains from them than others. A lot depends on how far off optimal tuning they are on the factory settings. Also, if you go with this mod and get one of the wilder ones that give you great amounts of HP and torque, you take the chance of breaking things other than the engine, like your transmission, etc. This can be overcome pretty easy though by beefing up the drive train...but of course, it gets expensive too.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:42 AM
dodgeramnz
Professional
Default RE: power programming chips?

Ive just installed a jet powerchip stage II. Now a lot of people on this site when they read that are going to think Im stupid cause they are a piece of ****. (am i talking about the chips or the people......)ha joking. anyway, it has made a huge difference. low end power has surged, ive done about 500k (270miles) since I put it in so the computer would have relearnt itself by now but the power is still there, The truck changes gear a lot faster, funny thing is though If i put my foot to the floor is seems to accelerate at less of a rate than if i have it at half throttle (where the rear wheels break out when going to second). One thing gto note though is I have got rid of all factory intake up to the throttle body and also we run a highwer octane gas in NZ than you do (regular is 91 octane and super is 96). Wether that octane is the difference, or temperature, or height above sea level (I live at sea level) are also making a difference, I dont know. But im happy with the chip, which is more than i can say for some of the other crap i ordered, Strange how things can look so good in a picture be so absolutely **** when they turn up. some stuff looks good when it turns up, until you find out its made of plastic instead of metal......

say no more, wouldnt want to slight american quality goods to much............hahaha

Quick Reply: power programming chips?