Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

ever heard of this Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 03:23 AM
2K4RAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ever heard of this Intake?

any comments on this intake?
Here Is The LINK

OR would it be better to go with something like this for the sensor option?
Here Is The LINK

Old 07-19-2004, 02:05 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: ever heard of this Intake?

go with the K&N and add a heat shield.

Old 07-19-2004, 02:35 PM
2K4RAM

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

go with the K&N and add a heat shield.
Well, it says that the intake is not made by K&N - just the filter. Are you saying to find an actual "K&N" intake then?

Old 07-19-2004, 03:06 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I'd go with the K&N FIPKII, it includes a heat shield. From my own experience, putting a filter that is sucking in engine compartment air will loose HP. the whole point of going to a CAI is to draw in cold air, not hot engine compartment air and this needs to be done from the front of the radiator. The k&N kit does this (mostly) with the heat shield, they will tell you to cut away the splash guard next to the radiator to allow more fresh air in. On my Ram i've taken it a step further by insulating the heat shield and part of the intake tube to prevent heat soak.

HTH...

Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Dem20s

I have the AirRaid intake, and by buddy has the K&N, we both have the same trucks, and we did a test, he kept saying that my intake tube was to short and not plastic, and that i would be just sucking in hot air and i would lose hP, so we went out and drove for a good 30 minutes(hard driveing) got both the trucks up to there running temps, then we took them to his uncles shop were we got them dynoed, when his was getting tested my truck sat idleing to stay up to temp and vise versa, we both tested with our hoods down, and the AirRaid tested almost 5 HP more of an increase than the K&N cool air intake, some people think that since the tube for the AirRaid is Aluminum that is would get hot, but you would be amazed on how cool it stays, as for that intake you are showing, being that it is chrome dipped, to me would be a prob, because chrome tends to make thing run alot hotter than other metals....sorry for the long post, Hope this helps..

P.S. if i had a scanner i would post our Dyno results...maybe laters..

Old 07-19-2004, 08:35 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I experimented on the BMW & found that w/out the heat shield i was losing a noticeable amount of power. What I did was put a piece of fiber board (cardboard) between the engine & filter and shape it so it looked close to the shield that I ordered and took it back out for a spin. Immediately i noticed re-gained power on the low end. Once the shield came I took it a couple of steps further and insulated the shield & tube which was getting heat soaked @ traffic lights, this helped out alot when leaving from a stop (traffic). I did the same to my Ram & found similar benifits on the low end. But the next day I installed a 1 in 2 out 50 series flow & that killed the low end... going to tweek the exhaust a bit to try to bring that back.

I'd insulate that intake tube!!! & get a heat shield of some sort since hot air = power loss.

BTW, you & your buddy didn't swap intakes... so it is possible that your truck was making more HP stock than his to start.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Dem20s

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

BTW, you & your buddy didn't swap intakes... so it is possible that your truck was making more HP stock than his to start.
Although that is possible, I have seen other dynos with simular setups, and the AriRaid stood taller on all of the readouts, I did alot of research before going with the AirRaid, and i havnt been disapointed yet...

Old 07-20-2004, 12:57 AM
2K4RAM

great - thanks for the help!

Old 07-20-2004, 01:43 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Dem20s

Although that is possible, I have seen other dynos with simular setups, and the AriRaid stood taller on all of the readouts, I did alot of research before going with the AirRaid, and i havnt been disapointed yet...
Was there a difference in the Filter size? I know that if you use a bigger filter it will help w/Hp but will hurt low-end torque. I'm thinking of swapping my K&N for a bigger one on my Ram.

Quick Reply: ever heard of this Intake?