Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Performance mods

Hi,
Im new here so I figured I would introduce my self.

My name is Josh I drive a 1999 dodge ram 1500 sport with the 318.

I was curious as to what mods people have done to thier trucks equipped like mine?
What was the biggest bang for the buck mod?

As of right now im thinking about a flowmaster catback, and trying out a hypertech.

Has anyone tryed the hypertech on the ram with a 318? was it worth it?

Thanks

Old 01-16-2007, 07:27 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Default RE: Performance mods

flowmaster will be nice...i have a 1996 dodge ram had a CAI on and use hypertech (PTM) theCAI just suck air big deal no gain.. hypertech very little gain.. all i did was the exhaust you can see in my signature and hear it to....

Old 01-17-2007, 11:02 AM
charginscott
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Jet Stage 2 chip, generic cai,180 degree therm,Flomaster single in dual out, and throttle body spacer. I added 20" wheels and they just flat killed the truck, but I also used the oem 20" rubber.
Also had the tranny rebuilt and it`s a dog too. I have to start the truck and let it sit for a minute or two before it will start to move.

Scott

Old 01-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fastman TB - excellent mod.
1.7 ratio rockers
Mopar Performance PCM
gears, gears, gears

Old 01-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

What is the price of that TB, and the PCM.

Where would I get it?

Old 01-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Fastman TB is like $250 with core. http://www.thefastman.com/Throttlebodies5x.asp

Mopar PCM's are mostly sold out from the factory, so you have to find one on eBay. I have two, and paid $50 for one, and a little over $100 for the other.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Where did the throttle body gain your power at?

Did it have and negitives?
Worth the price?

Im really considering that one... extremly simple to swap out sounds like it might help a bit.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:09 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

the 50mm fastman is what you want and it's worth every penny. I suggest a K&N intake kit, the 50mm TB and a good exhaust setup. you might want to give the aero turbine muffler a try... striaght thru design with backpressure to preserve your low end. Also Silvers recommendation on the rollers is right on the money... 1.7's are an awesome upgrade

Old 01-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

Where did the throttle body gain your power at?

Did it have and negitives?
Worth the price?

Im really considering that one... extremly simple to swap out sounds like it might help a bit.
Gains were noticable in the form of throttle response and low RPM acceleration. To get the most out of the Fastman though, I recommend removing the stock airhat assembly and replacing it with anything that will let more air into the TB. A 14x3 round filter, K&N FIPK, Ram Air Box, or other CAI are all going to help. The idea is that if you have a TB capable of flowing more air, it is most effective if you have an air assembly that lets the TB have all the air it wants (or at least what the PCM can use effectively). Then, a free flow muffler and even a free flow cat are going to help that extra air leave the engine. So basically a good combo is going to be a CAI - Fastman TB - highflow muffler. Do these together, and you will have some gains that are noticable to the butt dyno. I also saw mpg improvments when I installed my Fastman and a highflow muffler together. Others have reported the same.

Negatives of the Fastman? I can't think of any other then the the price. But it is totally worth it in my opinion. The swap is very simple too.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:56 AM
motorider228
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest a K&N FIPK intake, aero turbine high flow muffler, edlebrock shorty headers, msd ignition and some roller rockers. The pcm and the throttle body seem like good mods too but my 5.2 never had that stuff. Also gears is correct, you will gain a good amount of seat of the pants power with gears.

Quick Reply: Performance mods