Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Someone clear this up for me....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:37 PM
hans1577
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone clear this up for me....

Reading on here makes me think twice about putting dual exhaust or any new exhaust on my truck. I have a 2006 5.7 Hemi 1500 Thunderroad editionw/MDSand was thinking of putting something on it, but not sure because I have never put this on my vehicles before. The way it sounds is that with the MDS, dual exhaust doesn't sound that great. I would like to have a good sound but not a loud sound in the cabin. The local dealer said something about flowmaster 50, don't know really what that is. I have also heard a couple of things about the aero exhaust 3030XL. I would like to have dual instead of single though just for the look. Any advice at all is thanked in advance, I need it because of no experience with this at all!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Someone clear this up for me....

Flowmaster Delta series muffler will gove you the outside rumble where you want it without the interior resonance. I ran a set of Super 40 on my 02 GT Mustang and they not only sounded great I got a jump in HP and gas mileage with them and the BBK shorty style headers. If you are interested in running headers as well, which I highly recommend, Summitracing.com has a set of JBA Stainless steel for about $470 which is great for JBA's. Hopefully this will help.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hans1577

Reading on here makes me think twice about putting dual exhaust or any new exhaust on my truck. I have a 2006 5.7 Hemi 1500 Thunderroad editionw/MDSand was thinking of putting something on it, but not sure because I have never put this on my vehicles before. The way it sounds is that with the MDS, dual exhaust doesn't sound that great. I would like to have a good sound but not a loud sound in the cabin. The local dealer said something about flowmaster 50, don't know really what that is. I have also heard a couple of things about the aero exhaust 3030XL. I would like to have dual instead of single though just for the look. Any advice at all is thanked in advance, I need it because of no experience with this at all!
With mds your engine cuts back to 4 cyl in light load or cruise. so you be hearing a 8cyl engine purring away and all of a sudden you will hearing a 4cyl engine droning on.
I think I would stay with quiet exhaust.
But on the other hand If you put that MDS hemi in a Pinto or Vega body what a sleeper you would have even down to the soud effects.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:01 AM
sharpshooter
Veteran

After my experience over the last couple of weeks in and out of dealers swearing there was something wrong with my truck, I can only tell ya if it was me I wouldnt put an exhaust system on it. I did and I wish i didnt now, I will be putting a stock system back on once my local muffler shop does another dodge system and can find me a new muffler with having to pay 250 bucks for it. Its a constent sputtering sound that you cant hear with the factory exhaust, anything else and you here it

Old 03-03-2007, 04:13 PM
crashedcdo
Rookie

people have put exhausts on hemis with MDS and love it. you should search in the 3rd gen forum. there is a topic on the front page with people debating over which exhaust is best. most everyone on here that have the hemi with MDS disable the MDS so that they dont get the crappy 4 cylinder sound. other people just dont care for the MDS cause they notice when it kicks in.

i would say put an electric cutout in and leave the stock exhaust so that with a flip of a switch you can be as loud and anoying as you want to be. and when you want to be quiet and not sounding like thunder you can flip the switch again, be whisper quiet and not wake up the entire neighborhood. hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:03 AM
raidermike67
Veteran

Can't you just drive with the tow/haul engaged to bypass the MDS?

Old 03-05-2007, 03:08 AM
raidermike67
Veteran

I can get almost 20 MPG with the MDS on long trips in cruise control around 65-70 MPH.

The MDS doesn't kick in when you are accelerating so whenever you are driving around town etc. you don't have to worry about it, thats most likely when you're gonna try to turn heads with that loud exhaust anyway, right? LOL

Old 03-05-2007, 04:23 AM
sharpshooter
Veteran

ORIGINAL: raidermike67

I can get almost 20 MPG with the MDS on long trips in cruise control around 65-70 MPH.

The MDS doesn't kick in when you are accelerating so whenever you are driving around town etc. you don't have to worry about it, thats most likely when you're gonna try to turn heads with that loud exhaust anyway, right? LOL
Mine cuts in and out thru town, as soon as I let off the gas it kicks in

Old 03-06-2007, 12:41 AM
raidermike67
Veteran

OK, well I thought it had tomaintain a certain RPM for a short period before it kicked in.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 AM
dillyw
Professional

I like the stock and if you punch it its pretty nice sound the hemi produce ,
Just mine 2cents

Quick Reply: Someone clear this up for me....