Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Question about the ECU

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:19 AM
RandyH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the ECU

I just installed a new engine on my Stealth and the car ran - roughly - for about 100 miles. When it idled, I heard the servo relay clicking on & off. After I drove it home, it would not start again.

I ran the following checks:
1. ECU has power & is grounded
2. Servo relay has power, is grounded, & has not shorts
3. Servo relay gets power when the ignition is turned on - so does the ECU

Here is my problem. I replaced the burned out servo relay with a new one. One that checked out as fine. When I started the ignition, it operated correctly and fed the right voltage to all systems. However, when I attempted to start the car, the servo began clicking very fast & then burned out.

My question. Has anyone had this type of problem? Was it a servo problem [I don't think so], a burned out ECU [possibly] or a short in the ignition / engine wiring system [also a possibility]? I need some assistance if you have encountered this type of problem.

Thank you
Randy Hlavac

Old 11-21-2005, 02:09 PM
thestealth
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about the ECU

Are you talking about the relay in the passenger area next to the radio??

It sounds like you may have an ECU problem. The capacitors are prone to going bad after time. When they start leaking, they will not produce the proper voltage sometimes causing the ECU to cycle, similar to turning off the key. That is what makes that relay "click." I'd pull the ECU and inspect the capacitors. Do a Google search for leaky caps. You will find plenty of info and things to look out for. If they leak enough, the electrolyte in the caps will make the ECU unrepairable.

Quick Reply: Question about the ECU