Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Looking to buy a Stealth

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Derf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Stealth

Hi everyone, new to the site and need some help. I found a 92 r/t tt with 120k miles. The owner wants $9500 flatout. It has the normal wear and tear of a 12 year old car. The body looks pretty good, no dents or scratches. The engine sounds pretty good, no knocking, smokes a little when he jumped on when i was trying to catch up to him. It's stock as far as i can tell. I didn't get to take it for a ride yet. He said the service recalls have been done. I got on Kelly Blue Book and it went for $5300 at the excellent rating. Seems like he is asking a bit much. Anyone have some advise?

Thanks
Nate

Old 06-01-2004, 08:58 PM
zinger11
Default RE: Looking to buy a Stealth

Hi, Derf...

I just bought a 1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo with only 38,000 miles on it for $11,500...
It looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor...not a single dent, scratch, scrape, etc...
The blue book on this car was a little under 8,000...
On another positive note, the guy I bought from put a TON of mods in already (electronic boost controller, blowoff valve, downpipe, test pipe, catback exhaust, underdrive pulley, cold air intake, ground control coilovers w/ Eibachs, 18" rims and brand new tires valued at almost 2,000, and several other mods)...estimated HP b/w 400-450...
$11,500 seemed fair to me b/c of the price of the mods and the EXCELLENT condition of the vehicle...
In your case, I'd say 9,500 is WAY too high...speaking from experience...
Before I bought the 91 I was looking at a 92 TT w/ 112,000 miles and several mods (99 front end conversion, pulleys, gauges, etc.)...and the guy was asking 8,900, and this car was sweet w/ new red paint and everything...
I think if you have the patience and can afford to go a little while longer w/o this car, I'd say hold off...a sweeter deal always comes through...I was happy I waited for mine!
Best of luck to ya...let me know if you buy the car or wait...
Take care,
Kevin

Old 06-01-2004, 09:02 PM
zinger11

*I have pics of my 91 Twin Turbo...if you would like to see them, just let me know and I'd be glad to send...

kevinbuerk@hotmail.com

Old 06-02-2004, 12:24 AM
thestealth
Champion

Hey Derf, 9500 seems a little steep for a Stealth with 120K. The only way it may be an OK deal is if the 120K maint. has been done. Water pump, oil pump, plugs, wires, T-belt, pullies, accessory belts, and hoses. The 120K service can run several thousand dollars depending where you go. If the current owner has not had this done you will be sitting on a time bomb waiting to explode. When you test drive it, pay special attention to the synchros for 2nd and 3rd gear. Bad synchros in these gears indicate how hard the car was ran i.e. speedshifting. If the maint. records do not seem up to snuff to your satisfaction, walk away, you will be glad you did. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Derf

Thanks for input. I had already decided after i posted that i was gonna pass. I just really started looking about a week ago. I saw a pretty nice one in the local Auto Trader, called the place and it was sold before the magazine was even printed. 92 r/t tt 44k miles for $11k. kinda sucked, but thats always my luck. im in no real hurry. just looking for something to play with and maybe get some better gas mileage than my truck. It's not cheap to run 35" tires on your daily driver with gas at $2+ a gallon.

These type of cars are new to me. Im trying to find as much info as possible.Im more of a truck/offroad guy. A buddy of mine told my to go with the 91-93 R/T and VR4 TT's. those were the most reliable. Is this true?

Thanks again guys.
Nate

Old 06-02-2004, 01:52 AM
thestealth
Champion

Actually the FWD sohc and dohc are the most reliable, and the slowest. In the dohc and TT you have to run premium gasoline. I'm sure you also know that if you have a hot rod, you will drive it like a hot rod there goes your gas mileage. Other than cosmetic changes, nothing really changed between the 91-96 stealths and 91 to 99 3kgts. The engines are pretty tough, but the TT's have been known to spin bearings goes back to the hot rod thing I guess. I drive an RT with the DOHC motor in it and have had no troubles. It has 144K on it now. I have had to spend plenty on preventive maint. items and normal wear and tear items, other than that, no problems(knock on wood). I have toyed with the idea of moving up to a TT model, but for me, there is just more things to go wrong with them ie awd, aws, 2 turbos, etc. If you want to go fast, better get a TT. If you want a reliable daily driver that still looks badass, get an NA model, you'll never satisfy your need for speed with it though. Happy hunting.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Derf

Yeah, i thought about the whole "hot rod" thing too. lol I drive my truck like that now. I would not really beat on the car that hard but i would drive it for the reason it was made, fast. Im not gonna get anything other than a TT. I figure i might as well get a car that goes as fast as it looks...................then make it go faster.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-02-2004, 01:22 PM
thestealth
Champion

With that being the case, you better get a TT. You will not be satisfied with anything less.

I gave a friend of mine the nickname Derf way back in high school. I have only seen him a couple of times since he joined the corp. You are not a Marine are you?

Old 06-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Derf

No, misssed my calling. Im too old now, at 24. If all this stuff that is going on now woulda went down when i was 18-19 i would be a Marine, no doubt.
A guy at work gave me that name. I didn't have a name plate outside my office when i first started so he made one that said Fred(name is Nate) the guy next door could only see the reflection on the opposite wall. so from then on it has been Derf.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Dano Sport

Tell me about your car. Its HOT dude. How did you raise your suspension covers to make them into a ram intake? Can you buy that intake system or is it custom? Your car is beautiful. What color paint is that? I love it. Bodykit...where did you get that? Do you have an air filter? You have to strain those bugs. Do you know of anyway to fill up those MASSIVE rear-wheelwells?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Stealth