Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

could this be an ecu problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:25 PM
megtunal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could this be an ecu problem

just bought a 93 stealth es dohc 222hp, 100k miles for a 1,000. the problem is its not getting spark previous owner put a new crank sensor in it and still the same problem any advice as to what i should look into, that maybe causing this problem....

Old 06-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Shadowboy
Professional
Default RE: could this be an ecu problem

Plugs, coil, wires.<<<
Time to get testin. Are you getting no spark on all cylinders? (i think coil)+(distributer) Take it to a shop and have them check that out. Its cheap and easy to check.
Congrats on the $1000 buy good deal, wish i got it!

Old 06-08-2004, 12:14 AM
thestealth
Champion

I could be a ECU problem. There are capacitors on the ECU that I have heard will go bad. There is no distributor/coil like shadowboy suggested, but there is a coil pack for each cylinder. Have you checked each plug for spark? I don't know if the stealths had a switch on the clutch so the car cannot be started in gear, if it does that could be a problem, like I said, I don't know if that is on stealths or not. I think there is a cam angle sensor as well as a crank angle sensor. I have read that if a car jumps time the cam/crank sensors won't allow spark, but at this point I am really just speculating as it is easy to do armchair troubleshooting. Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Ranch

I just sent my ecu out to have the capacitors replaced. I was not getting fire on cyls 3 & 6. paid $200 in diagnostic fees, only to be told that a non-rebuilt ecu installed would be $400 more. found a place on the internet that charges $20 diagnostic fee, then $139 rebuild fee. Hope to have it back in a couple of days. Will report back then. The ecu is easy to remove. this website sugests disconnecting the battery before removing ecu. also, says to inspect the board for burn/scorch marks, bubbles, ect. if none of these are present, chances are it can be rebuilt. anyway, here's a link to the site:
www.rebuiltenginedepot.com

Old 12-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Ranch

I see that you are online. did you have any luck with your ecu?

Old 12-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Ranch

I just sent my ecu out to have the capacitors replaced. I was not getting fire on cyls 3 & 6. paid $200 in diagnostic fees, only to be told that a non-rebuilt ecu installed would be $400 more. found a place on the internet that charges $20 diagnostic fee, then $139 rebuild fee. Hope to have it back in a couple of days. Will report back then. The ecu is easy to remove. this website sugests disconnecting the battery before removing ecu. also, says to inspect the board for burn/scorch marks, bubbles, ect. if none of these are present, chances are it can be rebuilt. anyway, here's a link to the site:
www.rebuiltenginedepot.com

just figured out i replied to wrong user...

Old 12-07-2004, 09:46 PM
thestealth
Champion

and smell. When the "caps" start leaking (what happens when the ECU craps) the fluid in them is
1. caustic and damages the board and 2. smell very strongly of spoiled seafood. It is only about an hour job to remove and replace the ECU (interior panels and everything)

Not getting fire on 2 cylinders could indicate a faulty PTU also. 1-4; 2-5; 3-6 are the PTU pairings.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Ranch

What is the PTU?

Old 12-08-2004, 12:17 PM
thestealth
Champion

power transmission unit=PTU. It is what tells the coils to fire. It is under the coil packs on the front bank of your engine (on a DOHC engine)

Old 12-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Ranch

Hope I didn't jump the gun getting the ECU rebuilt. All of the trouble shooting that I had done pointed to the ECU. Is the PTU easily replaced? Also, have you heard about problems with the engine idling control motor after replacing the ECU?

Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: could this be an ecu problem