Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

PLEASE HELP! 91 Dodge Stealth ES wont crank!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 05:35 AM
dodgestealthes91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! 91 Dodge Stealth ES wont crank!

Hi all,
Im new to this so bare with me lol! I bought a 1991 Dodge Stealth Es about 5 months ago. Got it home the cluch was gone on it and the c-v axles. I just had paid $2200.00 and 2 cars for the car. So me and my husband decided to keep it and fix it. Well its become a night mare. I sent it to my nephews uncle (which i had never met before) and he changed the clutch and c-v axles. another 500.00 after parts and labor. Well, then it wont crank. The guy keeps my car for 3 months and he changed the crank shaft cenor, the intion moldule, and the relay switch couldnt get it to start. Then his brother who didnt know what it was eighter (sorry mechanics) said it was my ecm so he took it to Orlando since my ecm had a 3 yr warrenty he was gonna get me a new one. Waited 2 months he tells me the computer was stolen in the mail (like I really belive that) So here I am stuck with a car we done put well over 3,000 in to and it wont crank so I bought another ecm still wouldnt crank so a buddy of ours said it was the coil packs so we bought it put it on today still nothing. I dont know what it could be and its driving me crazy. We only have a little truck and this car which dont run. We also have 2 kids so we cant go anywhere and these people who are suppost to be like family screwed me over. So if any one can help i would appericate it. Like I said we replaced the cluch c_v axles, intion module, relay switch, ecm, coil packs, I dont know what elese to do.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2006, 12:45 PM
thestealth
Champion
Default RE: PLEASE HELP! 91 Dodge Stealth ES wont crank!

Does the engine turn over...? Does it get spark when being turned over?

The only part that has not been replaced is the PTU (power transmission unit). It's under the coil packs and is what causes the coils to fire.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 PM
dodgestealthes91

it turns over like it wants to crank but doesnt. Its not getting any fire

Old 07-12-2006, 12:28 AM
thestealth
Champion

Per the Mechanic Manual:
1. Engine cranks but does not start.
Check coil(s) You have replaced them, so that should be OK
Check Crank Angle Sensor Potential problem
Check PTU It is the small unit under the coils, Potential problem
Check Spark Plugs If the car ran before the mechanic worked on it, they surely didn't just go bad.
Check Plug Wires Same as plugs.

Another thing to check...under the hood on the passenger side of the engine bay in front of the air cleaner is a fuse/relay block. Pull the cover and check all the fuses under there. You may need to use a multimeter, sometimes a crack in a fuse can be so slight that it is not noticable. It wouldn't hurt to check the fuses under the dash as well.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:38 AM
dodgestealthes91

Thanks So much for your help. Ive noticed you help so many people out. I sent my car to a mechanic yesterday. He tells me that hell figure it out. (He is a good mechanic) If he can figure it out eighter I will give him some of the pointers you gave me. Hopefully I can get it back running, and finally be able to enjoy my car. Your the man on this site to be able to know so much about these cars. Have a good one!

Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 AM
thestealth
Champion

I just try to help if I can. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

When your mechanic gets it going, let us know what the problem was. It could possibly help someone in the future.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:35 PM
dodgestealthes91

Belive it or not it was a burnt wire under the fuse box.After 5 long months it was a burnt wire. The guy said it wasnt something that people would beable to just guess at it had to be put on dianasic. So if yor car turns over and isnt getting any fire it could be a wire lol.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:02 PM
thestealth
Champion

Congrats. Enjoy driving your "new" ride.

The question is...What caused the wire to burn up?? Hopefully it won't be a recurring problem.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:13 AM
dodgestealthes91

Im not sure he just said it was burned up when we got the car home the first day the clucth went in it so it sat for about 2 weeks before i sent it over to that guy so im not really sure what could of caused it I hope it isnt recurring lol. he said it took him 3 hours to find the promblem and about 5 mins to fix it it cost me 165.00 but at least it runs What year is your car?

Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 AM
thestealth
Champion

I've got a pair of 92's. One Turbo, one non-turbo.

Check the gallery in my signature for more pictures if you'd like.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! 91 Dodge Stealth ES wont crank!