Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

First Stealth problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:11 PM
fuktifino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Stealth problems

I just got my first ever Stealth (a 1992 R/T twin turbo AWD 5speed). The guy that gave me the car said that it has an oil pump problem. He described the symptoms as the oil pressure dropping to 0 after the car warms up for a few minutes and is not RPM sensitive. He said that the oil had been changed recently, eliminating a viscosity issue. He said that he rebuilt the oil pump without success. I've read that the computers in these cars can cause all kinds of weird symptoms.

There is also a part missing under the hood. The part sits against the firewall on the right (passenger) side and has vacumn lines (approximately 1/4 inch) going to it. There is a gold toned bracket where the missing part goes.

When I got the car home, I attempted to start it. The clutch pedal was as hard a rock. I pushed really hard and the pedal went to the floor and stayed there. The starter still does not engage. The car has sat up for awhile.

My questions are these:
Does the computer control the oil pressure gauge?
Does anybody know what the missing part is? Part number?
Is the throw out bearing hydraulic (expands from fluid pressure) or is there a hydraulicly actuated lever?
Is there a clutch safety switch?
If so, is it attached to the clutch pedal or the transmission?
Is the starter solonoid attached to the starter or is located elsewhere?
Does the Stealth use the same Nippendenso starter as the Dakota V6? I have a spare one of those.
Anything specific to the Stealth/3000GT that I should look for?

Old 07-17-2006, 05:36 PM
falcon66
Rookie
Default RE: First Stealth problems

The clutch is hydraulic with a master cylinder on the firewall near the brake master cylinder and a slave cylinder on the tranny below the throttle body. I recently had to rebuild mine as it had a leak causing the pedal to go to the floor and not return (the clutch did not disengage either). I believe the clutch safety switch is on the pedal. I am not sure about the rest. A picture of where the missing part is may help in identifying it.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:20 PM
fuktifino

Thanks for the reply. I didn't have time to take a pick of where the part goes today. I'll take one after work this afternoon and post it tonight.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:29 PM
thestealth
Champion

ORIGINAL: fuktifino
My questions are these:
Does the computer control the oil pressure gauge?
Does anybody know what the missing part is? Part number?
Is the throw out bearing hydraulic (expands from fluid pressure) or is there a hydraulicly actuated lever?
Is there a clutch safety switch?
If so, is it attached to the clutch pedal or the transmission?
Is the starter solonoid attached to the starter or is located elsewhere?
Does the Stealth use the same Nippendenso starter as the Dakota V6? I have a spare one of those.
Anything specific to the Stealth/3000GT that I should look for?
1. No, there is a sending unit on the drivers side behind the plastic cover behind the tire. Get a mechanical gauge to rule out any problems with oil pressure.
2. Need some pics of what is missing.
3. Sorry, I don't know much off hand about the clutch systems in these cars.
4. It is on the pedal.
5. On the starter.
6. I don't think the starters are the same.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 PM
fuktifino

Thanks, Stealth. I'll get some pics as soon as I can. Love the siggie!

Old 07-19-2006, 07:37 PM
fuktifino

This is a picture of where the missing part was. On the right side of the pic you can see the end of the vacumn hose that appears to have been connected to the missing part. The bracket is at the bottom of the pic. Sorry about the crop job, but I need to get a better photo editor.

[IMG]local://upfiles/39573/2FE6F4D6CB9F4E1FA8BEED3BCA18E77D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 PM
fuktifino

A little update on Project Stealth Bomber. I put a new battery in it and it now cranks. After sitting for a long time the engine catches as soon as I turn the key, but dies just as quickly. I'm hoping that it's bad gasoline. I'm going to drain the tank and put some fresh fuel in it when I get the time.
There is a yellow light on the dashboard that looks like a house. Does anyone know if this is an alarm indicator light? I did not get any key fobs with the car.
Also, can somebody with a twin turbo car take pictures of the underhood area, specifically near the firewall on the right side? I'm attempting to figure out what part is missing from under the hood of my car.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 PM
thestealth
Champion

The light (looks like the greek parthenon) is the low coolant level light. Let me know if there is anything more specific you need a picture of.

Yes, I am aware my engine bay is in need of a cleaning... :P

Old 07-28-2006, 05:12 PM
fuktifino

Stealth, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank-you for the replies. Every day that this car doesn't run causes my wife to complain ever more loudly about me picking up yet another project. I currently have three, other than the Stealth Bomber.
If you look at the picture that I posted, you see a gold toned vacumn canister with a curved 1/4 inch hose coming from it. That canister appears to be the fast idle solenoid. The part that seems to be missing from my car connects to the vacumn line. If you can get some pics of the back side of the throttle body, specifically where the throttle cable attaches, I would be most appreciative.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:53 PM
thestealth
Champion

I will try to get one tonight when I get home. I drove my TT to work today, so on my next break, I'll take a look and see what I can come up with.

I just try to help if I can.

I hear you about the wife. When I bought the TT last year, the ECU went out of it 3 days later...it took me about a week to troubleshoot it. Every day when I was in the garage tinkering she was like, "So, tell me again why you wanted another Stealth?"

Quick Reply: First Stealth problems