Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Wheel noise???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:23 PM
edelwell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel noise???

WARNING: This is a dumb girl asking stupid questions I'm sure. My ex has always maintained my car and now I need to try to do it myself before I take it to the shop(too expensive). First question is I have this loud sound coming from two of my wheels, one front, one back. It sounds almost like squeky bedsprings??? This doesn't always happen, but I've noticed it getting louder when it does. I hear it when I hit bumps (even small ones) and very loud when I went to down a brick road. The sound stops when I push on the brakes. I recently had my front brakes done and my ebrake was sticking so I had that replaced as well. My tires are only about 2 months old. Any input would be nice. Also the ultimate dumb question. I have to change my own oil for the first time. I've seen it done before on other cars and I know 'how' it's done. Drain, filter, fill up. My question is how will I know the drain bolt when I see it? I know where the filter is, haha. Not that dumb Also will I need the round filter tool, or is there something else that could be used in it's it place. If anyone knows of a link for oil changes for dummies, that would be great. I know it's not rocket science, but I don't wanna screw it up. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:05 PM
01indigoR/T
Professional
Default RE: Wheel noise???

the sounds your hearing from the wheels may be suspension related, if its a humming sound it may be a wheel barring, you may need the professionals to check it out. the oil drain is pretty easy to find. the bottom of the oil pan is wide and flat on the bottom, there should be a little plug looking thing on one of the sides, thats the drain. easiest way to get the filter off if you cannot break it free by hand is with that tool you mentioned, can get it from any parts store. another thing you want to remember when you change the filter is to make sure that after you get the old one off make sure the gasket came off with it, dont put the new filter on without taking the old gasket off, youll have oil leak problems like crazy if you do. also before you put the new filter on dip your finger in the old oil and pu a little on the new filters gasket, makes a better seal. hope this helps

Old 04-18-2007, 10:08 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-19-2007, 03:58 AM
H.P.fanatic13

I would get you rear brakes checked. I had the same problem and I had to get my rear brakes machined and new pads put on. my e-brake wasn't working like it was suppose to either. That changed when I got them fixed though.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:59 AM
01indigoR/T
Professional

another thing you want to stay away from is mattalic break pads, i laways use non-mattalic and i have no problems, seam to last longer too, less break dust

Old 04-19-2007, 12:38 PM
edelwell

Thanks for all your help guys! I guess I'll have to break down and take it to the shop. Wonder if they messed something up when they fixed my ebrake... hmmm. Any other ideas? Keep em coming!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 PM
edelwell

Do you guys think it will be okay until next week or needs attention ASAP?

Old 04-19-2007, 06:25 PM
kang25
Professional

It sounds like a suspension problem, what year and make is your car? second, when you change your brake pads, check your rotors as they may be warped. I reccomend cerramic brake pads, they cost a little more but are worth it if you don't want brake dust. If your car is older, apparently there is a problem with the motor mounts which could explain the noise you are hearing.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:10 AM
ServiceMGR

Squeak over bumps....you're looking at sway bar bushings...and I would also replace stabilizer links. Common problem on many vehicles....rubber bushings dry out and make noise. The noise will be more noticable in cold weather. You will know it's a wheel bearing when you turn the wheel left or right and the noise goes away. These cars are also notorious for dropping outer tie rod ends. They will pop when turning. It's a pretty easy repair if you have a lift but they really need to be aligned afterwards. Any more questions, let me know. Been a service manager at a Dodge dealership for three years and I have owned 6 Stratus' 1999 and earlier.

Quick Reply: Wheel noise???