Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

rough idle and power loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007 | 06:43 PM
aoeriksen
Default rough idle and power loss

I recently bought a -96 stratus 2.0 LE, sometimes when the car is in idle the rpm is jumping, almost like the car is choking and suddenly the rpm is raising again!
I dont know if maybe the same problem is causing that sometimes when im throttling the car nudges extremely!
Does anybody have a solution? I dont think it's the lambda (O2) sensor because i drove a 240km long trip and it used only 4,7 gallons!

Old 08-06-2007 | 10:36 PM
Kissmyne
Default RE: rough idle and power loss

Ok what do you mean by "nudges"?

Rough idle according to my Diagnostic Software is GENERALLY caused by a vacuum leak or bad spark plugs... I would try the plugs... most people forget to change them even though they are quite important... Besides they're cheap...

Old 08-07-2007 | 07:02 AM
aoeriksen

okey, I will try to change my sparkplugs and check if it gets better!

by nudges I mean that the car hesitates in a way to accelerate and it kind a "jumps" foreward instead of accelerating smooth.(I dont know if you understod that?) The same thing seem to happen when I release the gas pedal fully, some of that is because of the fuel cut-off I think, but it for me it seems that the car "jumps" alot more than a "normal" car.
Its quite difficult to explain, so just tell me if you dont understand what im trying to explain here

Old 08-07-2007 | 12:51 PM
aoeriksen

update!
I found out today that the engine most likely only rouns rough when the A/C is on! Is it something wrong with the A/C?

Old 08-10-2007 | 03:09 AM
Kissmyne

lol my car hates the a/c too... If it just shakes the steering the wheel a bit.. I would say thats normal...

The A/C lugs my engine a bit... and then my engine starts pullin...

I'm wondering if you have the same "problem"

Let me know what you find out... if it is the A/C thing though... let me know what you find out.

Old 08-21-2007 | 09:45 PM
JimmyKman

I have a 2000 Neon with a 2.0 and a three-speed automatic trans.The engineloses HP at load, either uphill, on the highway; or during hard accelleration. AC affects this, too. I found good fuel delivery (45PSI at full volume), and good compression, but low vacuum at idle, around 15 inches with the AC on (at idle) and 18 with the AC off. I can watch the vacuum gauge move up and down as I turn the AC on and off. I checked the timing and belt and put a new belt on, though it didn't need one and replaced the plugs but it did not help. I can't run this car up a any kind of grade without downshifting. -Anybody have an idea?

Old 08-22-2007 | 12:16 AM
Kissmyne

Well for me it ended up being my belt... I replaced it... Seems that fixed my issues...

You know most cars will downshift going up grades... not so much slight grades.. then again there aren't that many 4 cylinder 3 SPEED automatics... honestly the tranny isn't leaving much for the engine to work with... that may be your issue...

Old 08-22-2007 | 11:04 AM
JimmyKman

Yhanks for the feedback, Kiss; I'm talking slight grades (The flatlands of Illinois). Things get really hairy in hillier, southern Wisconsin. -and I have the same problem with hard acceleration, or uphill acceleration. Even though I cn downshift to make it, the engine sounds really rough; not like it's missing, just starving for power.

Old 08-27-2007 | 01:55 AM
Kissmyne

Ok this obviously may not do wonders for solving any one exact problem but going back to the original topic and topic opener... If your engine is having the same rough idle issues as my engine was then the problem would be the following in singularity or combination... Worn down belt(needs to be replaced) or the scond cause on my car was a vacuum leak... which caused things to run a bit... rough and caused power loss.

Vacuum leaks are fairly likely esp. if your engine uses the same stupid brittle plastic for some of the lines.. this obviously could span across models...

As for the 2000 Dodge Neon, Listen for leaks a... on a stock motor you should here anything from vacuum lines leaking pretty easily... Hmm... also keep in mind the A/C does drain power from the motor so... If you need to go up grades.. crack a window and turn it off(assuming its not anything out of ordinary lol)...

Anyways hope to hear back to see whats happening with that...

Old 09-27-2007 | 01:25 PM
stonentwolf

Try manually actuating the EGR valve. It should be on the right side towards the back. You can push it while the engine is running and it may stall or slow down suddenly as it mixes in more exhaust into the engine intake. If it was jammed you may have fixed it by loosening it.

Also worth looking at, check all the thin plastic or rubber hoses running around the engine. Those are all pretty much vacuum lines. Unplug one and see if the engine changes.

Quick Reply: rough idle and power loss