Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Oversize my oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 PM
littlepunk29
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oversize my oil filter?

Hey, I read somewhere, that when you aren't so good at making those 3000 mile deadlines for the oil changes, that you can get an oversized oil filter to help the situation out.

Is this true, what is bad about putting on an oversized filter, and how do I find the right one (oversized) for my 97 2.4L stratus?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Oversize my oil filter?

if u are that cheap to change out your oil u are gonna be real mad when u haft to put an engine in for your blunders.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:46 PM
littlepunk29
Amateur

Not too cheap, just have a slight oil leak, so I know it isn't always having the right amount of oil in there, so what is in there will of course become thicker quicker, just trying to help myself out anywhere I can, and if a slightly bigger filter will help the sludge factor because I get busy and forget sometimes, then I am all for it!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 PM
nate_0022
Captain

I wouldn't be messing with putting filters on that aren't supposed to be on the car? It take 10 minutes at most to change your oil yourself. I set my TRIP B on the odometer to measure when I need an oil change so I don't forget.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:02 AM
adio405
Rookie

plus most oil filters can go for a lot longer then 3,000 miles

Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 AM
lngbrding
Professional

Plus, with todays syns and semi-syns, going over 3K isn't as detremental as it was 20 years ago. You'll be alright, just don't go over 5 though. Use your noggin'.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 AM
littlepunk29
Amateur

Thanks, just lookin for an easy fix to help out, I wasn't expecting 10k miles on an oil change or anything. I saw another site and it had conversions for other types of cars, so I thought it was something more people might have done, but it seems not.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:57 PM
busy2mch1
Cool Yes you can

Hey punk,

Nice name, BTW.

I do this often for any engine that uses a tiny oil filter. The Dodge 2.4 4-CYL and the GM 2.8 V-6 both use teeny, tiny filters for such demanding motors.

The FIRST thing to do is make sure you you have the room to put a bigger filter. The Lumina with the 2.8 V-6 used a tiny filter because that's all they could FIT!
NOW, the EASIEST way to do this is go look at the FRAM oil filter for your car. Open up the box and actually look at it. If the sales people at the store give you any grief for opening the box, tell them I told you to. (this might have no effect, but at least it's funny).
FRAM uses a manufacturing process that uses the SAME BASE (mount) for several filters, and STAMPS them by type. You will see a number and letter (2E, 3A, etc.). Now find a larger filter with the same stamp. YOU HAVE A WINNER! It WILL fit, and it WILL function.
The wife is driving mine right now, otherwise I would just give you the number you need for the Dodge 2.4. I know it's in the 3000 range, but I can't remember if it's a 3967, 3600, or what.
G

Quick Reply: Oversize my oil filter?