Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Routine maintenance rip-off????

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009 | 09:47 AM
cepshadow
|
Default Routine maintenance rip-off????

Ok, so I called my dealership today to set up some routine maintenance, as well as a few repairs that should be covered under my extended warranty. I was quoted a price of $750 for basically a 30,000 mile service....the service manager did state that they would replace plugs, all fluids, etc. etc. etc. That still sounds like a ROYAL rip-off to me. Unfortunately, their are very few reputable independent mechanics in my area, and doing it myself is not an option. Are they totally ripping me off, or could the costs be warranted if they do ALL services that are required at this point in time? My husband is a mechanic, but unfortunately is 7000 miles away...deployed with the Marine Corps. Hoping to get an email from him soon about what to do. Would love some feedback from the Dodge experts here

Old 03-12-2009 | 05:43 PM
ratsttam
Captain

that does sound pretty steep for a 30,000 service. But not know what all they have in the etc, etc... can't really evaluate it. If that includes breaks, tires, state inspection (if applicable) than it might be a fair price for the work. assuming it needs all the work they say... check your user manual and see what is recommended by dodge for the mileage based maintenance, and get a price on what THAT work would run (not doing the recommended can cause problems later with the warranty), and get a second opinion on everything else.

Oh yeah,
Let us know what you got (year, trim, coup/sedan) so that the rest of us can give more detailed information and possible followup.

Last edited by ratsttam; 03-12-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2009 | 11:45 PM
tomthedog
Captain

+1 rat.

need to know engine, trans, general area of where you live (FLA, TX, CALI) and trim. even then, with only 30K on the car (unless new tires are thrown in, $500 max for all FIVE new tires;my '02 has full size spare and matching rim) $750 seems DANG steep with the car under warrenty.

just a few things to point out, EVERYONE feel free to add.

my '02 SE 2.7 v-6 has a timming chain, no need for a t-belt replacement.

my fuel filter is part of the fuel pump (after MY '99 i think), can't change it with out changing the pump and droping the gas tank.

the first time i changed the plugs was in '07, the eng only had 65K on it, no change in MPG, read the owners manual, the service info is in the back.

unless you drive on the highway ALL the time, change your oil at the recommended "hard driving condition", 3K for me.

from a JOE who's been there, hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Routine maintenance rip-off????