Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Need help badly with 2000 Stratus

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 PM
daveyboy43
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help badly with 2000 Stratus

I have a 2000 Stratus with 2.4 liter engine. In the last 6 weeks the car will just quit while driving as if someone just turned the key off. The car runs perfect with no problem at all and then it will just quit. 2 years ago when I bought the car I needed to replace the crankshaft position sensor. Since this problem started I replaced the ignition coil which didn't help and I also replaced the camshaft position sensor which I thought corrected my problem as the car ran perfectly with no issues at all for over 2 weeks and then it started again. Most times when the car quits it will start right back up but the last 3 times it's happened I had to pull over and wait for a minute until it would start. In all instances when the car quit, once it re-started it was fine for the rest of the trip no matter how short or far the drive was. There are no codes being thrown and I'm just really puzzled but more concerned as sooner or later it's going to quit on me at the wrong time and cause a real problem or accident. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it as I need help.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 PM
22dodge
Banned

could be another crank sensor. I've had this same problem and it re-occured after using a substandard sensor. I'd say check the cranksensor again. Or maybe pull a JY one that'll be cheap experiment. What I found is in most instances, when I unplugged the sensor, I found oil in the connector. This was a clear indication it needed a new sensor.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
daveyboy43
Amateur

Thanks for the info. Car just quit on me twice today but in both instances it came right back on and I didn't have to do anything,but it did cut out as the r.p.m.'s went to 0 and then came back up to 2000 and I just continued to drive.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 PM
22dodge
Banned

having that type of intermittant, also carfully inspect the wire harness and really check the connector for damaged pins. I like doing a 'wiggle' test by having the car runinng then grabing wires/connectors and wiggling to see if anything happens. I've found a lot of intermittant problems this way.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 PM
daveyboy43
Amateur

Do you mean check the connector, wires and pins on the crankshaft sensor?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:57 PM
22dodge
Banned

any sensor, and junction point anything where something plugs in, even wiring that could rub on something that could cause an intermittant short. Seems obvious you would wiggle wires at the crank sensor since you've already predetermined that might be a possible area.

Quick Reply: Need help badly with 2000 Stratus