Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Quirky, Strange accelerator pedal and no power

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
mgordonb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quirky, Strange accelerator pedal and no power

1996 Stratus 2.4L suddenly has very little power when "flooring" the accelerator. The accelerator pedal hangs or binds when pressing. Car does 0-50 in about 30 seconds as if there's an obstruction between the pedal and floor but there is not. I suspect 2 problems: either broken motor mount(s) or rusted/binding accelerator linkage. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Note: I do not have access to the car. I've been talking to a college student 200 miles away trying to get him an answer. I told him "don't drive it until you hear back from me!"

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Mark

Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Actually seeing the car would be quite helpful. We would love to assist you, but it's hard enough when WE can't see the car, and darn near impossible if the person with the car can't see it either. Is there any way you can gain access to this vehicle, or if the owner can join into the discussion?

I would lean towards the linkage.
Is the peddle stiff?
Does it completely jam like a brick underneath it?
Does it actually move, but not respond as if it's WOT?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 PM
mgordonb
Default Problem Solved

I got more information from the young man that owns the car (my daughter's boyfriend). He added that he had to pump the gas to keep the car idling and that the whole car shook violently. Luckily he found someone with a code reader. Result: "Misfiring Cylinder". After learning the plugs and wires were not changed within living memory and the car has 240,000 miles on it, I told him "Run, don't walk, to the store and get new plugs and wires!" He did just that and the car now runs great. He told me later that one of the old plugs was soaking wet with raw fuel.

It sure helps when you get all the facts first, especially if one is trying to diagnose over the phone.

Thanks ratsttam for your input.

Last edited by mgordonb; 04-13-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Yep, running on 2 or 3 cylinders (out of 4 no less) can definately make the accelerator feel weird.
Glad it was an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Quirky, Strange accelerator pedal and no power