Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Whats wrong with my Stratus!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:34 AM
Marcum21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong with my Stratus!?!?

Hi everyone,
I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus RT 3.0 V6. It has around 130k on it. I have a few problems with it and wondering if anyone could hlp me out.

1. Every time I start it up it sounds sort of like it grinds for about 5 seconds after the key was turned.
2. I smell oil burning and occassionally see small amounts of smoke coming from under my hood.
3. When I first start my car I have to floor it just to get going. I have to let off the gas, then floor it again to even move. It kind of feels like it catched itself then takes off. It jerks too. Once I get driving for a bit it goes away.

I got my timing belt and water pump replaced last year and a mechanic just "cleaned carbon" out of the car a week ago, It didn't help at all. If anyone has had these experiences please let me know. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 AM
GG30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something similar

When that happened to me in another vehicle it was the catalytic converter issue. Of course I live in California so this equipment may not be on your vehicle.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
Is the engine soon lite on? Your smokeing problem could be a leaking valve cover gasket or cam seal.Starting problem could be a TPS out of range or o2 sensors. You may want to have the car scan for codes and go from there.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with my Stratus!?!?