Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Malfunction Indicator Light- '04 Stratus

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010 | 03:08 PM
jeb55y8
|
Default Malfunction Indicator Light- '04 Stratus

I am a paranoid car owner, mostly because my 2004 SXT Stratus that I leased from 04-07, and now buying is almost paid off, so I want to keep it for a little while before it dies on me! Anyway, today my Malfunction Indicator Light came on. Naturally I pulled out my owners manual to see what it could be, and it wasn't too specific. So, I called a garage and have an appointment to take my car in in the morning.

Though I'm concerned what is wrong (can it be my transmission even if the car was running ok to me?), I am more concerned about getting ripped off. I live an hour away from my dads buddy who usually fixes my car, and I just can't take the risk or find the time to take it so far away. So, anyone have any experience with this? What are common problems besides what the manual includes? If you know common problems, do you know average prices?

I'm a worry wart! Thanks!

Old 12-02-2010 | 07:40 PM
sapporo
Banned

$5 - $3000 is the common prices for anything to turn on the malfunction indicator light. and of course the owners manual won't say what caused the light to be on... the shop manuals do that which are about as thick as the Bible... which would be hard to carry in the glove box

what can turn on the light is ANYTHING which would cause the vehicle to be non-compliant with emissions laws... like leaving the gas cap loose turns on the check engine light because an open gas cap will cause hydrocarbons to enter the atmosphere which is a direct cause for SMOG

Old 12-02-2010 | 10:13 PM
jeb55y8
|

I'll pray it's not the $3000 problem! Ugh, for that I'd be better off getting a new car!

Old 12-03-2010 | 06:24 AM
sapporo
Banned

you asked what it could be and how much.... well based on the detailed information, that's the approximate range of repair costs.

Old 12-03-2010 | 07:54 PM
jeb55y8
|

Well it was $260, so no where near $3000! Yay for that. Repair talk is like another language to me, so I remember something about a cam sensor and other stuff. I'm satisfied. I love my Stratus and since they don't make them any more, I just want to keep it going....

Old 12-03-2010 | 10:50 PM
sapporo
Banned

based on your description and asking what will it cost, best guess was between $5 to $3000 well your cost was in that range, fortunately for you it was on the lower end.

Quick Reply: Malfunction Indicator Light- '04 Stratus