Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1998 dodge stratus brake bleading

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:14 PM
wmlion1975
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 dodge stratus brake bleading

have a 1998 dodge stratus 4 door , 2.4L . replaced the rear shoes on the car , both rear wheel cylinder's and both rear rubber/steal brake lines. when we try to bleed the brakes, we get fluid out of the rear Left and front right. NO fluid comes out of the rear right and front left . the master cylinder was empty of fluid when we started , So we bleed that and now we are kinda stumped as what the problem might be. Please Help.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:00 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the cylinder in the master for that circuit is stuck?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 AM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

The master cylinder is composed of two circuits. Each circuit controls one front wheel and the opposite rear wheel. This gives you some stopping power if one circuit fails. Sometimes you first have to bleed the master cylinder. For shade tree mechanics it is a two man job. One pumps the brakes and holds while the other cracks a brake line loose (not out) at the master cylinder. Do not release the brake peddle until the brake line nut is re-tightened. Place rags where the brake fluid my spill on the paint. Bake fluid will destroy the paint.

Last edited by GALVANIZEDYANKEE; 02-13-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM
wmlion1975

thank you for the replies , I have Gone through an Replaced the Master cylinder , and now the Fun begins . the rear Left Rubber brake line I bought , Was Not the one for ABS (even though I specified ABS brakes) the ABS line was a Special order , so i ordered it , went in on Saturday morning to get it(Ordered the Master cylender to , it would be in on sunday ). bringing in Old Brake line i bought before for refund. got the one i ordered , got to busy to work on the car. Sunday morning around 8 started workin on the car with the New Parts , and Shazzam the break line i recieved Is the ABS breakline, Just not for the driver side . ($#&*) call around to the few places that Are open finaly find one, get it back to the house .

there is this thing that the ABS break Line screws into ( Is for the ABS), None of the parts store even list the things and have no clue of what i am talkin bout . the rubber break line screws into this thing and the steal breakline scres into it also. when i was screwing the rubber breakline into this thing it gave out and Stripped all the threads out.......

Any Idea of what it is called an knowing my luck the thing is a Dealer item Only...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
add|ct
Rookie

It's probably a dealer item only, but you can probably get it 'relatively' cheap. I doubt they charge you more than $15-$20 for it...so it could be worse.

Is the part in either of these two pictures?

Last edited by add|ct; 02-14-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 1998 dodge stratus brake bleading