Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Tow vehicle for boat ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011 | 10:39 PM
djmeaney
|
Default Tow vehicle for boat ramp?

I have a 2005 Stratus sxt sedan with 2.7L.

Anyone had experience with using a similar Stratus to launch and retrieve a boat?

I have a boat and trailer that combined weigh about 2,000 lbs. The boat will be stored on the trailer at a marina for the summer. I would like to use the Stratus to move the boast about 200 yards to and from the boat ramp to launch and retieve the boat -- but don't to over stress the transmission.

My 'real' tow vehicle is a Toyota Sienna that has a 3,500 lbs towing capacity. It is front wheel drive and I have never has a problem with traction the ramp -- so I wouldn't anticipate a problem with the Stratus either.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2011 | 11:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Welcome to DF
The only way to find out is to try it. The 2.7 should have plenty of power to pull the trailer.

Old 03-09-2011 | 02:57 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
The only way to find out is to try it. The 2.7 should have plenty of power to pull the trailer.
I agree. Give it a shot (but have a plan B just in case!). Most of the towing capacity isn't so much as being able to move the load, but with the ability to stop said load. You're going 200yds, can't see an issue with that. I am only concerned about the lighter FWD stratus pulling a mass out of the water like that. I guess if the ramp isn't too steep, than it should be OK.

Quick Reply: Tow vehicle for boat ramp?