Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

valve noise - engine dies - steam/smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:54 PM
tautog2907
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question valve noise - engine dies - steam/smoke

Old car, new problem. 95 Stratus 2.5L V6

My son was driving car back to school. It was in the 20’s. Got about 30 miles from home and he said he heard a "clacking noise" from the engine and then it died at 70 mph. Then there was smoke (I’m thinking it was steam) coming out from under the hood. When I got there I was hoping to find pieces of pistons and rods so I could just shoot it and put it and me out of my misery. But I couldn't see anything obvious so had it towed home. Once home it would not start. Cranked good with no odd noises, but would not start.

I was thinking timing belt, but when I went to push it into my garage a week later I tried to start it just for the hell of it, and it started. Was rough but ran. When I put it in gear it died and I couldn’t get it started again. Pushed it in and started looking over everything and found nothing obviously loose or missing or burnt. I tried starting again and it did start. Once the cobwebs cleared it idled and revved normally. I started thinking divine intervention had stepped in. I called my wife out and threw my arms up and declared myself a miracle worker. I let it run for 10 or 15 minutes. I went to close the hood to take it around the block and all of a sudden the “clacking” started, originating from the left (passenger) end of the front valve cover. It was metallic and pretty loud. 4 or 5 seconds of that then the engine died and then steam/smoke started rolling out from the same general area. I couldn’t see the exact source. Somewhere behind the valve cover and under the intake manifold, left side. There wasn’t enough smell to it to pin down just what it was. Steam with antifreeze is usually pretty distinct. So are most oil and fluid smoke smells.

My next step is going to be the valve cover and see what I can see, but I can’t think of how the noise in the valve cover can be connected to the steam/smoke. So I was hoping to narrow my hunt before I dig in. Could a PCV valve cause this and the engine to die? It is in the general area and its hose disappears back to where the steam/smoke emanated from. The steam/smoke was crankcase vapor? All ideas are appreciated.

If I can't find a reasonable fix I think I'm going to donate it to charity and tell him it was stolen. But he's too smart to think anyone could or would steal it.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you ck the cooling system for either water or coolant? And how is the engine oil level? one last question, Has there been any work done on the car in the last few weeks?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:54 AM
tautog2907
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down gone but not forgotten

Sorry for the slow response, but haven't been checking since we've put the thing out of it's misery (and mine).

All the fluids were normal. No oil in water, no water in oil. Had not done any work on it for quite some time.

Gave the thing away. Wasn't going to put any more money into it. Pulled off the nearly new tires and removed the aftermarket radio and speakers. Sent it out to pasture. Bought him a pretty nice used car from a friend, and it is not a Chrysler product.

Quick Reply: valve noise - engine dies - steam/smoke