Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2004 Stratus Coupe Hydraulic Clutch HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
tammyjean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Stratus Coupe Hydraulic Clutch HELP

Greetings,
I am new to this forum so I don't know where everything is yet. I am hoping to get some troubleshooting help with my Stratus. It has been my dream car for the last five years, no trouble, just fun.

A couple of days ago I started having trouble getting from one gear to the next, and that problem would come and go. It worked ok for one trip and got difficult the next. Then yesterday, it gave out all together. The clutch pedal goes too easily to the floor and does not engage, so the only way to get into gear is to match the revolutions or jump start in gear. Not good.

There was no odd noises and no leaking fluids. I am not up on hydraulic clutches so I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a Haynes manual but it is not clear to me where all the parts are located from the pictures, or even what could be wrong.

Sorry to be so wordy. Any help with this puzzle would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Tammyjean

Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
Here is what you do. Have someone push down on the clutch pedal and watch the shift fork lever. Does it move when you push down the pedal? If it does, Then the problem is inside the transmission. ( Clutch Disc ).

Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

More than likely its the slave cylinder. Its usually baby blue in color, and the seal goes bad. You will need a friend to help you bleed the line when you get a new one (less than $100) but its pretty simple to install. It will be on the front of the transmission , and will have one steel line going to it.

Small picture, but this is what it looks like. OEM and the one I bought to replace mine a while ago is blue.

Last edited by pearl01stratcpe; 03-29-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:46 PM
tammyjean

Thanks guys for the responses. This is a great help. I will check out your suggestions and let you know how it all works out.

Regards,
Tammyjean

Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM
tammyjean
Default Slave cylinder

OK, got the new slave cylinder and installed it. Pretty easy. Works great. All is well. Cost $60 including bottle of brake fluid.

Thanks all for your help. This is a great forum.

tammyjeam

Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 PM
tammyjean

Eibach Sportline Springs, KYB GR-2 struts, Muffler delete, CAI, Short throw shifter, All chrome 2.5g wheels, Rear Disc Conversion, Eclipse Spoiler and Fuel door, Blacked out headlights, OEM foglights, Redline tuning hood struts and a little bit more.

Beautiful car. Thanks for posting the picture

REAR DISC CONVERSION!! Can you point me to a thread on HOW TO do a rear disc conversion?

Thanks

Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tammyjean

Beautiful car. Thanks for posting the picture

Thanks

Originally Posted by tammyjean

REAR DISC CONVERSION!! Can you point me to a thread on HOW TO do a rear disc conversion?

Thanks
Sure, heres the how-to I made a few years ago.
http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/inde...opic=34196&hl=

Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
steelcityinnovations

I am new to this forum, so please have patience. I recently purchased an '02 dodge r/t stratus, 3.0 5-speed. It has a ne clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, slave and master cylinders. The ave is constantlylosing uid and the car has also developed a serious vibration problem. At 1500, the vibration is at its worse, no-load; under load, it is not AS bad. This is the st time I have owned a small car such as this and hope someone may have some experence with this issue. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
If the car is loosing fluid, We need to know what type of fluid you are loosing. I'm going to guess maybe a water pump, But is just a guess. I do need more information.

Quick Reply: 2004 Stratus Coupe Hydraulic Clutch HELP