Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus timing off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:07 PM
dolittle
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like they are off 180.
To replay to yankee I should have said that the valves can hit not that they will hit.
Because of the two cams free wheeling out of time. But they can,t hit the piston.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:40 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the timing belt on a 2002 2.4 DOHC engine twice. It was not easy. You see that picture for aligning the crankshaft? Well, thats how it should look like AFTER the belt is on. I had to actually advance the exhaust cam sprocket by two teeth then put the belt on before everything lined up after I rotated the engine twice by hand. Its real easy to get frustrated and not align those sprockets properly. I would take the upper timing belt cover off and look at the marks. Also make sure your number one piston is at the top.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:45 PM
clintonracer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 DOHC timing issues

I just went through the same thing with my car. I put in a timing belt and a water pump due to the water pump dumping coolant like crazy and I didn't get the timing marks lined up perfectly. The car would run OK off-idle but would run very rough at idle, smelled like fumes (incomplete burning?), and had code P0172 for system too rich bank one.

A user on another Dodge site had me do the following:

You put the allen key (6 mm) on one end of the gear, and rotate the gear to take it under the belt. As it comes out the other side, the belt with skip a tooth. You can place it on the opposite side, and turn it the other way, and it will jump it back the other way. This will allow you to move it a tooth at a time whichever direction you need to.

Also, ignore the TDC mark on the crank initially, and set TDC with a screwdriver in Cylinder #1

I don't think the crank pulley/balancer has a mark for TDC so the screwdriver method worked great for me. Once the screwdriver stops moving at TDC, you can see where your camshaft sprocket marks are. He said to use a straightedge too to make sure the marks align with where you think the top of the engine block is. (Remember these engines sit at an angle so you have to remember that when you are checking out the timing marks.

Good luck!

DH

Quick Reply: Stratus timing off?