Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus timing off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Mamascar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stratus timing off?

Hey guys, My mom has a 2004 stratus and the timing belt broke the other day. I just got the tow company to fix the timing belt. I went and picked it up today and it does not want to idle and it didnt have that problem before the belt broke. When you give it gas it smooths out and it runs good at highway speed. The mechanic there told me he thinks the valves got bent a little and thats why it runs rough ?? (I worked at a service station for years but that was back before computers, I am thinking if it run good at highway speed the valves should be ok ??? )
I showed my neighboy this afternoon and he thinks the timing is a notch off.
Whats the odds the valves are bent ? timing off ? Something else I should look at ? I have looked all over and dont see a vacum line off.

Any advice would be appreciated , I am going to have to fix it and I am not real fimiliar with front wheel drive or computer cars.

By the way the mechanic put new spark plugs in it trying to get it to run better.
and
My neighbor hooked to the computer and it did not show any codes.
Thanks

Last edited by Mamascar; 04-22-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: thought of more info that might help
Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 AM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

A compression test should show you if there are bent valves. Most, if not all, Chrysler product engines are interference fit engines. If the engine turns while the belt is broken or stripped, the pistons and valves hit each other.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Mamascar

what kind of numbers will I be looking for on the compression test ?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 PM
dolittle
Veteran

What engine?
From my haynes manual 170 to 225.
If they are in that range and with in 10 lbs of each other then you are probably OK.
The 2.4 is not a interference engine but if the belt brakes (most of the time because the water pump ceased) the valves will hit each other, but should not hit the pistons so at the most you may have to rebuilt or replace the head.

Last edited by dolittle; 04-22-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Mamascar

2.4L DOHC Thanks

Old 04-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Mamascar

Compression reads @200 for each cylinder. Would you agree that if all 4 compression readings are @200 then the timing was probably installed a notch off ?

Old 04-23-2011, 02:00 PM
GALVANIZEDYANKEE
Professional

I don't know how valves can hit each other, except in an F head engine.Good compression readings. Check you timing belt.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Mamascar

I Have it where I cam see the timing belt. I have put in a dozen timing chains on old Chevy's but never one with 2 cams. Exactly how do you line the marks ? The marks on the two cam gears both point up at the same time, I would think the marks on each cam points to each other ? How do you line up the crankshaft ? At first glance, I don't see a mark on the crank pulley.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Mamascar

Here's something to laugh at too. I had a piece of plastic break off , go straight up in the air and down in the spark plug hole , laying on the piston. Had to get the shop vac some small rubber hose and some duct tape

Old 04-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Mamascar

There is a picture in this thread, I guess it should be the same 99 vs 2004 https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-s...t-line-up.html

If this is right then they had one of the cams 180 off.

Quick Reply: Stratus timing off?