Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

A/C leak - can I fix it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:50 PM
vorbius
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C leak - can I fix it myself?

Hi,
So, I turned my AC on about 3 weeks ago and it had funny smell and vapors started to come out of the vent. Soon, the green oil appeared on the passenger's side of the floor. The AC still works somewhat but the smell is bad when I use it although it is present even when it's off (which is really all the time, since I don't want to make it worse). Mechanic tells me we can try to use a sealant to fix it, it might help, but his supplier does not have it. Mechanic says it costs about $70, he does not remember the name of it. Anyway, I thought I would ask you, guys if you think it makes sense to spend money for it? Do you think, based on my description that it is something that can be fixed this way? And if so, maybe I can do it myself? I read a couple of articles on the AC sealers, seems easy enough to DIY. Just want to know if it is worth the money/hassle and what the chance for success you think there is. I don't have any intention of spending $700- $800 to fix it - I am planning to replace the car this fall anyway, just want to get through this summer. I have a 2 yo. daughter and can't imagine driving her with no AC the whole summer on the East Cost. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:21 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only use sealant product if you want to sell the car and tell the Buyer the A/C still works. if your leak is so large where you can see oil dripping, sealant most likely won't do anything.
Sealant product are Desaparate solution, it usually end up Clogging the system instead of fixing anything. resulting even more expensive repair. For example, if you ran over a Nail, and used Fix-A-Flat sealant so you can drive home, be ready to replace that tires because it will not balance. If you use Stop Leak in ur cooling system, you can fix the leak, but clog up cooling passage and over heat the engine.

Sounds like you need a Evaporator. and yes, it is a 800+ job.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 PM
vorbius
Amateur
Smile

Oh, crap!
Well, thanks for response.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM
vorbius
Amateur

Nope. It's a heater core - confirmed by Midas technician. Same cost to fix it. Crap!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 AM
carlfxy

Originally Posted by vorbius
Nope. It's a heater core - confirmed by Midas technician. Same cost to fix it. Crap!
Well pick up a new heater core $100, and take the weekend to put it in. Just need to remove the facia in the car etc. Here's a guide for a 96

http://www.ehow.com/how_4503878_repl...e-stratus.html

Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM
vorbius
Amateur

Yeah, I actually found it the same article. Thank you, though. Looks challenging, I must admit. I never made such a repair. I might try it, though.
So far I had the mechanic bypass the core, he connected the hoses together and I don't kneed to worry too much 'till winter. The A/C works now, that is the most important thing for me right now, because of my little daughter. If I don't succeed in repairing it myself, I will need to come up with $600 or $700 for repair, I guess. Have you ever done it before this way? Or did you actually write that article by any chance? Was it very "tricky"?
Thanks up front!

Old 05-29-2011, 01:29 PM
carlfxy

Yeah, I actually found it the same article. Thank you, though. Looks challenging, I must admit. I never made such a repair. I might try it, though.
So far I had the mechanic bypass the core, he connected the hoses together and I don't kneed to worry too much 'till winter. The A/C works now, that is the most important thing for me right now, because of my little daughter. If I don't succeed in repairing it myself, I will need to come up with $600 or $700 for repair, I guess. Have you ever done it before this way? Or did you actually write that article by any chance? Was it very "tricky"?
Thanks up front!
Sorry, no I didn't. I haven't ever removed the instrument panel, but if it was up to pay $600 to a garage I would. I've had a leaky core before, but found that it wasnt that serious, just kept on refilling the coolant.

The bypass was a great fix for the summer, and great for your little one. As for winter, you can always keep your coats on. You can't do the same for the summer.

Its really not that bigger deal, and most of it you can do, and take it into the garage (or a friend) for help if you run into problems. Just dont drain the coolant, until like stage 19, just before you pull it out. Run into problems just reconnect the battery and drive the car to the garage with a naked facia.. I've actually driven a chevy naked for a while whilst I was doing a fix, and ran out of time.

Now go to adv auto parts online NOW !!! today is the last day, and order the heater core online (store pickup) and enter the code

BIG30

for $30 off, so it will be like $62+tax instead of $92+tax

Old 05-29-2011, 01:49 PM
carlfxy
Default service manual

you can pick up the service manual for free from http://pdftown.com/u/stratus/

password : pdftown.com when you actually open it

Old 05-29-2011, 07:30 PM
vorbius
Amateur

Thanx so much, carlfxy! REally appreciate that!
Are their parts of good quality? I was thinking of ordering from moparonlineparts, bu it's $128! This is half of that! But I don't any sub-quality. Do you know their stuff? Used it? Any good? I intend to keep my Stratus for a while, only have 61K on it (!).

Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 PM
carlfxy

Thanx so much, carlfxy! REally appreciate that!
Are their parts of good quality? I was thinking of ordering from moparonlineparts, bu it's $128! This is half of that! But I don't any sub-quality. Do you know their stuff? Used it? Any good? I intend to keep my Stratus for a while, only have 61K on it (!).
Never used them, but they are produced in north America :

"Manufactured in our ISO-certified North American plants, they’re constructed of premium OE-approved materials"

As long as you use the correct antifreeze your heater core should last fine, especially one built in north America. Coupon code is still good, so go for it before it expires.

Quick Reply: A/C leak - can I fix it myself?