Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Overheating....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011 | 11:44 AM
Necrid
|
Default Overheating....

I have a 2002 Dodge Stratus SE and about a week ago I noticed a puddle of coolant on the ground under the car and started overheating. I checked the coolant and it was gone but I could not find where it was leaking from. So I refilled and took it for a short drive to see if it overheated or lost the fluid again. The temp gauge went all the way up into the red and after parking I looked to see if I could find any place where it was leaking but the fluid was still there. After about 20 mins with the car off I noticed the fluid was gone again but still no sign of any leaks or fluid on the ground. I thought it might be leaking from under the coolant container but doesn't appear to be any fluid there. I'm not sure where else to look.

Old 07-08-2011 | 12:05 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Welcome to DF
What size is your motor, I'm guessing a leaking water pump or hose.

Old 07-10-2011 | 03:17 PM
Necrid
|

Well it turns out that it is my water pump. I have almost everything that was needed to remove to get to the water pump but have come across the problem of finding the special tool needed for removing the cams without messing up the timing. I've checked around for such a tool and no one has anything like it. Is it a dealer only tool or could something else be used without messing up the timing? It's a 2.4 dohc.

Old 07-10-2011 | 04:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

You can get one thru one tool trucks, snap on, mac or matco. I post the tool number when I get to work on monday.

Old 07-10-2011 | 09:32 PM
Necrid
|

Thank you! I will check around.