Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

05 Stratus driver window issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011 | 11:22 PM
voodoochild03
|
Default 05 Stratus driver window issue

Hello - new here, sorry if I am missing a topic that has been covered previously - when doing searches I have been unable to find anything closely related.

I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT. Since I have gotten it I have noticed some electrical peculiarities, such which lead me to think it may have a bit of an electrical problem, but after upgrading from a 1996 year vehicle, I was used to little quirks and didn't think much of it; and honestly I don't know now if it is even part of the problem.

Anyways - problem is my driver's side front window (the driver's window). 99% of the time it will not open/roll down. Now and then, typically only when it is rather warm out, I can get it to roll down and roll back up as normal, but if I forget to roll it back up and turn the car off, I may be stuck with it being down for a long time. I'm unsure if for some reason the warm temperature (usually 80+ degrees) is making it easier for the glass to move up and down, or what is up with the warm weather allowing it to work thing.

Occasionally when I am able to roll it down, I basically have to press up and I hear a bit of "crunching" noises within the door and then can roll it down and back up perfectly normal. I don't know if there is a motor problem, or what it is.

(I know I keep saying "roll up" and "roll down," but it is an electric window, not crank)

Does anyone have any ideas? I would certainly appreciate any thoughts or help!

Old 07-10-2011 | 04:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Welcome to DF
The crunching sound is not good. The window regulator and motor are starting to fail. you can remove the door panel to inspect, but I don't know if you will find anything.

Old 07-10-2011 | 07:19 PM
BillS
Captain

do you have a sedan ,don't know if this applies to 2005 or not its a service bulletin they issued in late 2004 i found when trying to fix rear window on mine,might be cause of your noise and possibly loose enough to cause erratic operation .
GROUP: Body
DATE: December 16, 2004
SUBJECT:
Rattle/Clunk Sound In Door

MODELS:
2001 - 2004 (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan
DISCUSSION:
Some JR vehicles may develop a rattle/clunk sound in the doors that can be associated with movement of the window glass. If this symptom occurs, check for looseness of the window glass liftplate fasteners. If the fasteners are found to be loose apply Mopar Lock and Seal Adhesive, p/n 04318031, to the liftplate stud and torque the fastener to 9 - 12 Nm (80 - 105 in. lbs.).
When servicing a JR vehicle window glass or regulator always apply Mopar Lock and Seal Adhesive, p/n 04318031, to the liftplate stud prior to installing/torquing the fastener

Quick Reply: 05 Stratus driver window issue