Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Interferance or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:05 PM
divelblissn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interferance or not?

I need to know if my 2.4L DOHC stratus is interference or not. pretty sure timing belt teeth are messed up and making it not move. Really dont want to scrap this car.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

DESCRIPTION
The 2.4 Liter (148 cu. in.) in-line four cylinder engine is a double over head camshaft with hydraulic lifters and four valve per cylinder design (2.4 Liter Engine). The engine is free-wheeling; meaning it has provisions for piston-to-valve clearance. However valve-to-valve interference can occur, if camshafts are rotated independently.

The cylinders are numbered from front of the engine to the rear. The firing order is 1–3–4–2.

The engine identification number is located on the rear of the cylinder block (Engine Identification).

Old 04-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Fuzzy_NM

I realize there are no gaurantees here! However, what are the chances of valve to valve interference with a broken belt at 80 mph?
~Fuzzy

Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 PM
castlenut
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My girlfriend broke hers at 50 miles. I replaced it started rite up...

Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_NM
I realize there are no gaurantees here! However, what are the chances of valve to valve interference with a broken belt at 80 mph?
~Fuzzy
With a non-interference engine, it won't matter if you snap that timing belt at 5mph or 180mph. Nothing to hit because they NEVER occupy the same space. If they do hit, than you were dealing with a much worse issue than a bad timing belt to begin with.

With an interference, one single rotation is all it takes when the valves are down and the pistons are up, even at idle, not good at all.

Quick Reply: Interferance or not?