Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011 | 09:46 PM
jwblock
|
Default Air Conditioning

I own a 2004 Stratus with 2.4 engine. When I shut the air off, I get a clicking sound coming from the compressor area. My wife had the car today and she says she smelled burning rubber. The click and rubber smell could be unrelated. Just wondering if anyone knows why?

Old 07-17-2011 | 10:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

The rubber smell could be a plastic bag on the exhaust system. And clicking sound maybe the exhaust cooling down.

Old 07-17-2011 | 11:30 PM
jwblock
|

Originally Posted by master tech
The rubber smell could be a plastic bag on the exhaust system. And clicking sound maybe the exhaust cooling down.
Wow, what an idiotic reply. Find a new hobby, end of conversation.

Old 07-18-2011 | 08:18 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Check your serpentine belt for wear or glazing. If the AC compressor is binding up, or the clutch isn't releasing, it could be dragging the serp belt, causing it to heat up, creating the "burning smell".

And I have caught plastic bags up in the heatshield of my exhaust, and it will smell like burning rubber. You did say a clicking noise after turning off the AC, but if it was after shutting the car off, it could well be the exhaust connections popping while cooling down.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning