Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Rough Idle and Cam position sensor code

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011 | 02:59 PM
jmartin99
|
Amateur
Default Rough Idle and Cam position sensor code

I have a 2003 Stratus sedan with the 2.4 DOHC engine. I have had the car for about three months. I drive 54 miles one way to work almost every day(I carpool when I can but haven't been able to do it for a while now because of schedules). When I start the car it usually takes 30 seconds to a minute for the engine idle to stabilize and have throttle response. Then after it is running, the idle is pretty rough and erratic in drive or in park. My car has been averaging about 25 mpg but that seems a little low to me as my buddy has a 2002 stratus sedan with the v6 and he gets 30-31 MPG!!! Should I change the Idle Air Control Valve? How can I improve my mileage???

I also have had an issue with the CEL coming on since I got the car. When it first came on I had the code read and it was for the Cam Position Sensor(CPS). I replaced it and thought I was good to go. About a week later the CEL came on again and I had the code read and it was showing the same code (CPS)!!! I let it go for a day or so and the light went out. Ever since then the CEL comes on once or twice a week and then after about a day or so goes back out. Anyone else have this issue or heard of this issue? Any suggestions how I fix this issue?

Thanks!

Jeff

Old 07-30-2011 | 12:38 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Did you buy the sensor from the dealer?

Old 08-01-2011 | 03:53 PM
mike2pam

I have an 04 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl and have had the Cam Position Sensor replaced 3 times in the last 5 years with the same type of issues. Rough idle and hesitation when you give it gas and CEL coming on. Each time it was replaced it ran good for about 1.5 years then same thing happens again. Any advice???

Old 08-04-2011 | 09:17 AM
jmartin99
|
Amateur

No, I bought the sensor from Advance Auto Parts. I am wondering if I need a new Idle Air Control valve.

Old 08-04-2011 | 09:50 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

I would buy the mopar cam sensor, I have seen problems with the aftermarket sensors.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle and Cam position sensor code