Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Bad news :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:13 AM
YeahGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad news :(

My 2001 dodge stratus es 2.7l just got a check engine light, and the transmission is messed. It won't even shift, even when I try putting it in manual. So I guess my transmission is bad right? I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem and realized it's just a sensor or something minor, because my transmission was shifting perfectly and then This happened all of a sudden...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated,
Ps. Got 131k on car

Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 AM
BillS
Captain

first thing to do is find out what the stored codes are ;could be anything from a bad wire,sensor,converter or solenoid, control module or bad transmission

Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by YeahGuy
My 2001 dodge stratus es 2.7l just got a check engine light, and the transmission is messed. It won't even shift, even when I try putting it in manual. So I guess my transmission is bad right? I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem and realized it's just a sensor or something minor, because my transmission was shifting perfectly and then This happened all of a sudden...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated,
Ps. Got 131k on car
If you can get from park to R to D, than it's unlikely the mechanical portion of the transmission is shot. What you are experiencing is "Limp" mode. It locks the trans into 2nd gear, which is good enough to start and drive at low speeds. Preventing gear shifts eliminates faulty sensors or wires from causing additional, costly, mechanical problems. Being able to drive in limp mode, is a good sign that it won't be a horribly expensive repair.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 PM
YeahGuy

ya the code is p 0700

Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM
BillS
Captain

P0700-TRANSMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM/READ TRANSMISSION DTCS ON THE DRBIII(R)
unfortunately thats just a code letting you know theres other codes,car probably needs to go to dealer or somewhere they have a DRBIII(its an expensive tool) scan tool.most places only have an obdII scan tool those can only read codes that dodge allows them to.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You probably will just need a sensor or solenoid pack.
If something is Mechanically wrong, you will feel it. it doesn't just happens all the sudden. Of course, that's usually the case. Get it to a shop with the right equipment.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM
YeahGuy

quick update, turned out to be my TCM(transmission control module) and it was a quick 300$ fix. the transmission shifts fine now.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Rocket67
Professional

Thanks for the folllow up. Just got one of these and the info might come in handy in a few thousand.

Quick Reply: Bad news :(