Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2.5l V6 idle speed way too fast

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:10 PM
mncessna
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5l V6 idle speed way too fast

hi everybody! i'm a new member to this forum. looking forward to helping others as i can and getting help as i need it...which is now!

i had 2 diagnostic codes that indicated that the #3 injector was bad. so i replaced it. replacing it was fairly straight forward if not frustrating due to all the really tight clearances and all. but, it was successful.

after i had it all back togethor, i fired it up and gave it about 5 minutes to warm up.
the engine idle stayed at 1500 rpm and will not frop down to normal idle.

so far: i've replaced the idle air conrol valve (actuator/motor) with no change to idle speed.

i've visually checked the throttle position sensor and it operates smoothly.

i've read that the crankshaft position snsor, coolant temp sensor, map sensor, and vehicle speed sensor can all affect idle speed. i understand that the pcm could also be bad.

oh yeah: i've checked for engine codes at o'rielly's - none. the car has ran really well for the 8 years we've owned it, never had any issues with it.

what did i do inadvertanly while replacing the #3 fuel injector that could be causing this problem? any ideas?

thanks a lot.

marvin

Last edited by mncessna; 08-26-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: forgot a few details...
Old 08-26-2011, 07:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
You may have a vacuum leak, could be from any where. I would the EGR tube gasket and then check for hose's left off or cracked.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:39 PM
mncessna
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum leak...aha

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
You may have a vacuum leak, could be from any where. I would the EGR tube gasket and then check for hose's left off or cracked.
that makes sense. i'll look for hoses not reattached, but is there a good way to check for leaks? dropping water on a connection? not sure how to do this because there are so many hoses...

i'll check the egr first.

thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: 2.5l V6 idle speed way too fast