Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1998 stratus trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:34 PM
coldsp1der
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 stratus trans problem

I have a 1998 stratus 2.4 with the 41te trans. I've have no issues with it, it shifts great, I did a fluid and filter change a couple months ago so the fluid level is fine and not dark. The only thing is a very slight leak coming from what looks like the differential cover on the back so I only have to add a little fluid maybe once a month. But yesterday on the way to work it makes this really loud whining noise, comes out of gear and didn't go back in until 4k rpms or so. So from what I've learned is it's in limp mode. I have codes p0700, p0733 and p0734. The speedo works so I don't think it's the output sensor. When I turn the car off and restart it it'll drive and shift fine for about a quarter mile and then goes back into limp mode. Any ideas???? Thank you

Old 08-29-2011, 10:58 PM
fgarza1964
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common problem on that year tranny was the input and output speed sensors. They used to be made of brass in the good old days and then Chrysler stared to make them in plastic to save money and ever sense they had issues. If you have access to scan tool, set to read trans input and out put RPMs. Put vehicle in gear and drive to see if reading any rpms. Which ever side is not reading then that would be sensor you need.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to Dodge forum to both of our new members.
The most common problem when these transmission have a gear ratio error in 3rd and 4th is inside the box. Most likely the hub/with shaft has broken. There is another problem thats so common but can happen is the rear planetary gear breaks in half. Find someone with a scanner that can do a clutch test for 3rd gear, and aslo check the CVI readings.

Quick Reply: 1998 stratus trans problem