Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Car bogs then dies when i turn on A/C or defrost

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Joshfinn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car bogs then dies when i turn on A/C or defrost

2004 stratus R/T coupe 3.0 V6, anytime i have either the defrost or A/C on the car starts bogging, then dies. Otherwise the car runs great, no engine codes. I can have a/c or defrost on with the fan set at 0 but as soon as i turn the fan on the starts dying. This only happens at idle. Any ideas?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Either the idle speed motor not kicking up the RPM's when you turn on the a/c or the compressor starting to seize up.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:49 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Also to note, is that whenever you have the defroster on, the AC compressor is turned on. The dry air from the AC unit helps clear the window faster than just warm air.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:00 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the AC compressor as well. Even on a brand new car, sitting at idle, if you turn on the AC compressor, you can hear the RPM's dip a little due to the "NEW" load thrown into the mix. Like Mastertech mentioned, your compressor is probably ready to crap out on you.

Easy and cheap check as most AC places will check it for free with an estimate. Then you can decide what route you want to take to get the repair done.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Joshfinn
Rookie

Sounds good, ill go get it checked at an AC shop and get a "estimate" haha will update when i know more. Thanks for the info, definitely makes sense.

Quick Reply: Car bogs then dies when i turn on A/C or defrost