Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Compressor Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
tonyaleday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Compressor Bypass

Hi everyone...I was wondering if you can bypass the compressor on a 2004 Dodge Stratus? I can not afford to pay $863 or $740 including labor...all help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes, you can bypass it with a shorter belt, but you will have to measure it with a string for the belt length you need.
What's wrong with the compressor? which engine do you have? coupe or sedan?

Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another route you can go too is to Google for a AC Bypass pulley. Removed compressor, bolt pulley in place, use all existing belts/tensioners already existing. I don't have time to look now as I have to get to work, but I did a quick search and found ones for pre -99 years, so there has to be one for yours (hopefully). Priced around $40 too.

Good luck

Old 10-12-2011, 05:53 PM
tonyaleday
Default Stratus

I have the sedan with the twin cams....they say that I have 2 compressors. They want to check and see which one is bad, but my clutch is gone also. He said he would bypass it, but I have a bad clutch.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tonyaleday
I have the sedan with the twin cams....they say that I have 2 compressors. They want to check and see which one is bad, but my clutch is gone also. He said he would bypass it, but I have a bad clutch.
What do you mean you have 2 compressor? Only vehicle I've know with 2 A/C compressor are some Semi Truck for Food transportation, one for Cabin and one for the foods.
what's wrong with it? why would you By pass it?
why does the Bad Clutch makes you want to by pass A/C? are you getting no A/C operation? or noise why A/C ON? noise when A/C off? Noise all the time? or the Clutch is falling off the car?
We are asking all these question just trying to save you some money, please give us more information since we cant physically look at ur car.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:22 PM
tonyaleday

The so called mechanic says I have 2 my car is making horrible noises because of it. I have already figured it was my compressor when it kept killing with the air on

Old 10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
tonyaleday

Plus my air wasn't working properly....noise with the air on or off

Old 10-13-2011, 01:42 PM
tonyaleday

Thanks for the quick responses.... looks like I came to the right place

Old 10-13-2011, 09:22 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

If you dont plan on fixing the A/C, it really isnt necessary to replace the compressor just to get rid of the noise.
if the clutch grinding on the compressor, or the compressor is locking up, you can unbolt the clutch plate and throw the clutch plate away, and the pulley will just free wheel around the compressor. There is still a snap ring holding the pulley in play, so it will not fall off.
If the pulley is what's making the noise, you cold replace just the pulley.

it is easy to find out what's making the noise, tell your mechanic to remove the A/C belt and spin the compressor pulley by hand, see if you hear any noise.

If the noise is NOT from the compressor, then... go get a 2nd opinion. A lot of shops offer 2nd opinion for free just trying to get new customers.

Last edited by steak59; 10-13-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:00 PM
tonyaleday

Thanks will do

Quick Reply: Compressor Bypass