Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Need transmission help. Won't move.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:18 PM
MEcableTech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need transmission help. Won't move.

I have a '01 stratus R/T 3.0L coupe. I was driving along last night normally, headed down a hill so I lifted off the throttle, once I got to the bottom and started to lose speed I put my foot back on the pedal and noticed that the engine just revved like it was in neutral. I thought to myself, what an idiot, you just put it in neutral. So I went to put it back in drive but it was already there. I ended up coasting to a stop on the side of the road. Drive, 1,2,3, reverse... nothing. Just like I'm in neutral. Park works, the car wont roll in Park.

This happened without warning. It made no noise to indicate something broke. I had a buddy tow me home with a rope.

I checked the fluid. Full. I drained the fluid. It is translucent, red, no odor, no metal flakes/shavings. The trans was flushed about 6 or 7 months ago. The SES light is not on. I hooked laptop up to OBDII port. No codes. When I have the engine running and shift through, I can hear the normal whirr of the solenoid going into gear. For all intents and purposes, nothing appears wrong except for the fact the car doesn't move.

Has anyone seen or heard of this?

Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Have you check the fluid level? If its full. You may need to check line pressure. I'm just guessing either the front pump is bad or the transmission filter is plugged.

Quick Reply: Need transmission help. Won't move.