Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Oil in water Stratus

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 PM
cerahj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in water Stratus

Hello to all. New to the Stratus line. I have a 99 Stratus 2.4 16 valve. Runs great, problem is Oil in water. Not water in oil.Put 2 qts oil in drive around block 2 qts low. Open the overflow there is the 2 qts of oil. Dipstick is clean with oil. The hoses are oil saturated and oil is leaking thru hoses. Pulled plugs, clynders are clean and dry. Engine has 76k dont think Timing belt has been changed, dont think its been hot either. Everyone is saying blown head gasket or cracked head. Local mechanic wants $1500 to pull head and take a look. Does anyone have any ideas? Never had oil in the water, always water in the oil. I can do a timing belt however taking the head off adds another dimension, especially with all the finger room.
Thanks for any and all help

Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
Have you check the transmission fluid level. Transission fluid could be leaking into the cooling system.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 PM
cerahj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the transmission. Oil is good in trans, oil is coming from engine. Read a thread today about the head gasket in one corner being bad. I just don't know if I'm ready to pull the head. I'm thinking it may be more of a job than I can handle. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Oil in water Stratus