Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Runs good, starts hard, check engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:51 PM
traxxasx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I replaced the cracked coolant tank , that no store had in there system so I went to the scrap yard to get one. Also snatched a brand new cam sensor off a stratus and installed it. Car started up first time. I'm skeptical abut this fixing it so I will know for sure tomorrow morning when I try to go to work. Hopefully it was the cam sensor.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Rocket67
Professional

Originally Posted by traxxasx
Today I replaced the cracked coolant tank , that no store had in there system so I went to the scrap yard to get one. Also snatched a brand new cam sensor off a stratus and installed it. Car started up first time. I'm skeptical abut this fixing it so I will know for sure tomorrow morning when I try to go to work. Hopefully it was the cam sensor.
I am thinking you only had the hard starting problem and not the Check Engine Light issue. How hard is the Crank Shaft Sensor to replace?

Old 07-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Rocket67
Professional
Default Camshaft Position Sensor

Before replacing the PCM I am going to do the camshaft sensor and see if that doesn't at least help the slow starting. It looks easy enough to replace...where is it on the 2.7L?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 PM
ndtguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rocket67
You sayin the code could be caused by a bad battery?
No, I'm saying that their testers aren't always real accurate.

When you try to start the car, what does it do? Is there a clicking or buzzing noise when you turn the key to start?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Rocket67
Professional

Originally Posted by ndtguy
No, I'm saying that their testers aren't always real accurate.

When you try to start the car, what does it do? Is there a clicking or buzzing noise when you turn the key to start?
It turns over for about 10-15 seconds then starts. Runs fine once started. Check engine light has the P0601 (checksum error) code when pulled at 2 different auto parts stores. I have noticed that once it's started it hesitates a few times before it starts running good. This just in the last couple of times I have started it. I already have the camshaft sensor on order and should be replacing that this weekend. Big concern about the Check Engine Light though, it needs inspection and after reading so many reviews about the PCM being replaced and getting the same errors I am not 100% sure that the PCM needs to be replaced.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 AM
traxxasx

The sensor is located on the passenger side of the engine on the side of the motor it's right under the large coolant hose, it's fairly easy to change just one bolt holds it in and it was a 1/2 deep socket if I remember. And a plug took me literally 2 minutes to. Change, after changing the car now starts with only two cranks instead of 3+. Next I'm going to try to change the spark plugs, to the oem champions cause I read other plugs cause problems. Maybe I will try to replace the PCM once I get a chance to go to my local junk yard we have one with all parts are 10$.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Rocket67
Professional

The sensor is located on the passenger side of the engine on the side of the motor it's right under the large coolant hose, it's fairly easy to change just one bolt holds it in and it was a 1/2 deep socket if I remember. And a plug took me literally 2 minutes to. Change, after changing the car now starts with only two cranks instead of 3+. Next I'm going to try to change the spark plugs, to the oem champions cause I read other plugs cause problems. Maybe I will try to replace the PCM once I get a chance to go to my local junk yard we have one with all parts are 10$.
Found on another forum that the PCM could trigger P0601 if the battery is not giving consistant voltage and since this one was run dead I am thinking there could be a bad cell. Still turns over fine but new batteries that have bad cells will do that. Also heard that after resetting the PCM to run it at minimum of 30 minutes or the CEL will come back on. Lots of stuff to do before buying a PCM. Did find a company that doesn't have horrible reviews... GoECM.com. They want $325 for the Stratus PCM but if it works the first time it would be worth the $$.

If you aren't getting a check engine light I would not mess with the PCM. It seems there are plenty of other issues that could contribute to this car not functioning properly. Plugs and wires are a good plan if it's not running smooth.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 PM
ndtguy
Rookie

The Interstate battery in my wife's stratus was installed in late 2003/early 2004, so its taking a bit to start. I let it try 3 times and then stop for a second, start it again and its up and running. I have nothing else that you have described (hesitation, rough running, engine light, etc).

I think about putting a battery in it during the week when I'm driving it but the weekend comes and I'm driving the Durango or my fun car (see pic next to my name) and forget about it until Monday morning.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Rocket67
Professional

Kid needs the car back so I am going to just order the PCM online at allcomputerresources.com (only $200), they have pretty good reviews so not too worried about getting a bum part. So, replacing the Cam Sensor today and the PCM when it gets in...hopefully before next weekend. Will update on the CEL issue once all is done. Might go ahead and throw some new brake pads on the back while I am working on it.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:42 AM
traxxasx

200 is A rip off shoot I will send you a good one for 100, just didnt know if you wanted it or not? I'd your super desperate eBay has better deals. But I can get you a PCM for about 100 shipped I found a few at the local yard "not the 10$ one" so there about 60$

Quick Reply: Runs good, starts hard, check engine